The Missing Piece

When Chase arrived with Elizabeth to the front of her shared home with Jason, Mark was standing on the front porch smoking a cigarette, his blue eyes instantly scouring her body for any injuries. He had returned to the house after notification from a guard unit that Chase had been sighted with her in tow, meaning that the Alpha was also equally aware that she was on her way back. As soon as they made it within reaching distance, Mark grabbed at her bicep lightly to take her into his own custody, flicking his cigarette off to the side with precision with his other hand.

"Good job, Chase." He said in distraction as his hand grabbed her other bicep and he looked more closely at her exposed skin to be positive she didn't get hurt. "Expect a bonus next pay, higher than usual. I was absolutely positive she would have been hurt, but you did well." Mark said talking as if she wasn't even there, like she was a parcel that went through the mailing system and arrived undamaged. "Unfortunately, we will be extending your shift specifically for the night. Take a few hours to sleep and return to post by three." The beta looked over to him to ensure he heard his orders and was clear on them, receiving a brief nod from Chase before he turned on his heel and left the way he came. "Are you alright, Elizabeth?" He asked with his attention now focused on her emotional well being as opposed to her physical.

"Don't take me in there." She said quietly with a shake of her head as tears began to well in her eyes. "It's a misunderstanding, and I know how he's going to be." Her hazel eyes looking into his blue ones, he being the last line of workable hope she had.

"I know, I talked with Samantha. Cane and I are going to be staying, we won't let it get out of hand." Mark said back, clearly understanding her concern,  but not being able to give her the reprieve she was asking for. "Just do us all a favor, keep your fucking mouth shut and do not engage with him." He said looking back into her eyes with a firm stare. "Not. A. Word." He said accentuating his firmness on the matter. "Do you understand?"

She nodded her head quietly with a heavy shaky exhale, as the tears were beginning to line her cheeks. He gave a couple soothing up and down rubs to her biceps before he began to lead her into the house, the sound of balls clattering against the billiards table from the second floor, was the only noise filling the air.

When they finally ascended the stairs, Mark adopting her slow pace and moving under her direction, they walked down the long hall to the only open door where the noise was emitting from. At the doors entrance, she saw Jason's tall frame leaning over the table to take an angled shot, he didn't even bother looking in their direction as he stroked the stick forward and sank the red ball into the corner pocket.

"Is she hurt?" His tone was dark, as he stood up and looked at the table looking for his next shot, stopping at its side, his back facing them as he leaned down and promptly sank the green ball.

"Not a scratch." Mark said with a smile, leading her further into the room, and sitting her down by the liquor cabinet before beginning to pour her a glass of red wine for her nerves.

"Shame." Jason said back, still not looking in her direction as he moved a couple of steps down the table and took another shot, which he missed. "Fuck." He muttered to himself.

"Here you go, beautiful." Mark said handing the glass over to her, which she took quietly and dipped her head down to stare at the red liquid contents within the glass.

"I heard you shifted." The alpha said, finally giving her a side glance. "Congratulations." Sarcasm was heavy in his tone. "I said-" his voice getting deeper and rising in volume as she didn't respond to his words. "Congratulations." To which she nodded, but kept her head down. "Where were you running to, Elizabeth?" He asked, his head turning so he could stare at her with his pitch black eyes, his hands loosely holding the pool stick in front of him as its base rested on the floor. She only shrugged before she took the opportunity to take a heavy sip of the wine provided to her. "Let me guess.." he said watching Cane who was lining up his shot, the white haired beta playing distractedly to appease him and keep an eye on the temperament of the room. "You were looking for the blonde Alpha with the kinda pretty green eyes and whose body is just right, for protection. Weren't you?" His frame beginning to walk around the table as Cane had missed his shot, he leaning forward and sinking a purple solid. She shook her head and took another sip of wine uncomfortably. "Tell me, Elizabeth. Did you fuck him too, when you were out in Pennsylvania pretending to be an alpha?"