Joseph-25

When I finally realised what was going on and felt a chair that felt as hard as metal I opened my eyes to see the brightness of the lava was actually from these lights that were above me. When my eyes readjusted and I returned to what I believe is the "real" world. I saw there were four doctors in the room with me in. It took them 5 minutes to realise I was awake but that was only when I forced myself to speak so they knew I was awake.

"What happened?" I said as the words got forced out my mouth in a rough voice which made me think I had been like that for a long time but I don't know how long, it only felt like a few hours but must have been like that for a day at least although I am not sure if it could possibly be longer. I wonder if I should ask how long have I been like that, but it hurt too much to say those two words so I remain quiet.

They look at me like I'm a ghost. It's only then I see the frost on the windows and notice they aren't blinking. Why don't I feel the cold and why are they frozen? What about me? This reminds me of the avalanche but I thought that was just because that was a dream and in my head. Maybe it wasn't... maybe there's more to it than just that.

I don't know what to do I remain calm because nothing good ever happens when you panic. It is a lot harder than you think to remain calm in a situation where everyone is frozen in ice and the window is covered in frost. I take deep breaths in and out. I hope this passes and that they don't remember me moving at all whilst they were frozen. I lie down hoping that this will stop and try control myself in case I am the reason this happened.

"What was that?" I heard a woman voice say calmly genuinely confused.

"I DON'T KNOW!" One seems to be much calmer in this situation and it isn't the one who yelled.

"I think the kid's awake." another voice says ignoring the other two I don't know what the fourth one was doing but they hadn't said a word. I flutter my eyes open to act that something had also happened to me and sat up.

"Oh...yeah he is." He sounds kind of disappointed. Maybe it's because he didn't want me knowing that he yelled at someone that he had no idea what happened. Only then I think why is there four doctors in here?

"Your name is Joseph Deans am I correct?" The one that might actually care about my well being said. I nod my head in response because I didn't want to try talking again. The one that has yet to say something gave me a glass. I guess it's water but I look at it still

"It is just water." So I was right. Yes, she said something in a hushed voice. I drink all the water only realising then that my mouth felt like sandpaper. I didn't realise my throat was that dry until then.

"What happened?" I try again because my first attempt obviously didn't get across to them but it also felt easier this time. The water did do some good still but I still want more.

"Do you want some more water?" They ask quickly after my question. Almost like their... avoiding my question.

"Yes, please," I say because I do, to drench my undying thirst. "What time is it? How long have I been like this?" They look at each other before nodding.

"It's 3:25." Oh, my brother and I would still be in school. "It's been 4 days."

I almost freeze time it's been FOUR DAYS! I can't believe it. Just then the woman that left, and never talks, came in with a bottle of water.

"You must be really thirsty." She says still in that hushed tone

"Y...Yeah, yeah." Is all I can say whilst I process the information I had just been given. When I went to drink the water in the bottle I find it has frozen but nothing else. It must be me. The two that were arguing earlier left, leaving me with the women who barely speaks and the man that might actually be concerned about me.

"They have gone to tell your Dad and Brother." I take a while to process that. Then I noticed he didn't mention my mum, but just as I am about to say something he answers half my question. "Your mum says she's busy." I know he's not telling me something but I don't know what...

I wish I could read minds.