The Departure

A/N: This is my first work in this genre, please let me know what you think, positive or negative, all is welcome but please be respectful. The first three chapters will focus on character building and then shit will hit the fan after that, the pace markedly ramping up. It is mature content so for fair warning you will see cursing, among "other things" throughout my story. Enjoy!
<3 Sarah
——————————————————————————-

1. Always have your phone on you and turned on so we have your GPS location.
2. You will call by facetime at exactly 7pm every night Eastern Standard Time. We want to see your face every night, no exceptions. Additionally, if one of us calls, you answer.
3. If you need anything, anything at all you call. Don't be prideful, we will always be there to help.
4. Don't talk to strangers.
5. Eat three meals a day. Everyday.
6. Let me know when you're travelling to a new destination and I will have your campsite arrangements made before you arrive.
7. Take Shelby with you everywhere, she was trained for a reason and she will protect you.
8. Do not stray from your itinerary, stay within the regions previously discussed, if you will be delayed reaching a certain location, state the reason and why, so we can make any necessary arrangements.

These eight rules were rapidly repeated and fired off as he walked with the last of Elizabeth's luggage to the explorer. His hulking frame made the suitcase seem as if it was empty as he placed the large suitcase with its matching mates neatly in the trunk. A grumble rumbled from the base of his throat as he began to reorganize once again the contents within the back of the SUV, adjusting the items as if it was a game of tetris. With each item he placed, all the contents within were once again shifted and moved as if their previous placement was not adequate enough. This was his way of delaying the inevitable, as was him repeating his strong set of rules for the hundredth time.

Elizabeth sighed as she watched him, a small smile creeping on her lips as she saw the gruff irritation on his strong chiseled face, the vehicle shifting with movement due to his perfectionist nature. She knew under his drill instructor exterior, with his harsh voice and sharp criteria for her travels, lay an immeasurably large teddy bear.

He was a protective man, always had been, and his harsh demeanor could not hide the amount of love and warmth he held for his little niece. He always treated her as if she was his own daughter, and her soon departure was most definitely ripping at his heartstrings, however instead of tears and gentle words his expression of love came out as grunts and grumbles with a few curses at the disrespectful baggage that just never could seem to be sorted properly.

"He'll be okay, Lizzy." Aunt Shelly chuckled as she approached Elizabeth, her gentle hand squeezing on her shoulder, trying to get in as many warm touches as possible before Elizabeth became nothing but tail lights in the distance. In her opposite hand, she held a large lunchbox, no doubt packed full with all of her nieces favorite treats and drinks. "Just please for the love of God, please make sure you call him on time. You know how he is, he'll come find you and bring you back home in a flash." she stated with an eye roll, in a somewhat humorous but also exasperated way.

"I will Aunt Shells. Of course, I can't believe he's even letting me go." she said quietly in a whisper, still in almost a state of shock despite months and months of planning this exact moment. "I was positively sure he was going to change his mind at the last minute."

"Oh he did,  dear." Aunt Shelly said with an amused smile, removing her hand from Liz's shoulder before shifting the weight of the cooler to both of her hands, clasped in front of her thighs. She arched her eyebrow slightly and gave a small wink before returning the whisper, "But that's what you have me for. It took many a threats to get here, so you better remember what you're leaving me to deal with." a delicate chuckle emitting from her throat.