save me a dance?

VII

"Are you excited? Today's the big day!" Macie, Emma's mother asked her daughter as they placed the last touches to Emma's blonde hair. Emma smiled, struggling to keep up the happy act as she looked away from the mirror she sat in front of. Emma was excited for the big day, she was marrying the man she loved but then again... had she really loved him? Was that really love? Or was she in love with who he was then? Does she love the idea of who he promised to be when they were younger?

Emma wasn't excited anymore, the idea of the wedding sent a sting to her heart and whenever she thought of the wedding. Marcus popped up in her head and she constantly had to shake her head to get rid of her thoughts. Marcus's touch still affected her heart and breathing every time she thought of that night. Last night.

Macie had noticed her daughter's different attitude but wouldn't comment, she feared the question or comment would lead to other topics that Macie wasn't ready for. The mother feared she was making a mistake when she agreed to marry her daughter to Felix but Emma had been so excited then. Macie didn't think time might change her decision.

Macie sighed and moved to place her hand on Emma's but she lowered her hand once Emma's phone rang and her daughter's hand shot out to answer it.

And that call was all the confirmation Emma needed, Marcus was going to affect her feelings towards this wedding so much. Her caught the minute that deep voice traveled through. "Emma?"

"Marcus..." she trailed off as she sighed. A light smile graced her lips and she immediately pulled her lips into a tight line when she realized what she was doing. There was no need for crushes, she was getting married. Married!

Marcus seemed to sigh happily at the sound of her voice and cleared his throat, "The wedding— I— If you want—" Marcus struggled for words. He wasn't sure how to ask the girl he was in love with if he could come to her wedding. He wanted to see her, just touch her one last time before she moved into the Hayden mansion. He knew he'd see her at school but he didn't know if they'd ever talk again. He took a deep breath and sighed again into the phone, "Can I see you? Today?"

Emma sucked in a breath and looked towards her mother who was standing beside her as she played with her daughter's hair. Macie watched her daughter carefully from the corner of her eye as she took the phone call from one of her friends but from the sound of her voice. Macie wasn't sure if his status was still friends to her daughter. Emma looked towards her lap and nodded, "Yes, yes, I want to see you too."

Marcus chuckled and took a deep breath, releasing it as his body relaxed before it tensed again. Reality hit him hard in that few seconds, he was going to be watching Emma marry Felix. He was going to watch her marry the boy Marcus had competed with for years. "I'm going to have to pull one of my dad's tuxedo's from the closet."

Emma's eyes widened, she was going to see him in a tux. She could hardly keep her eyes off him the night before when he was just in an old black shirt, she couldn't imagine what he would look like in a tux. She smiled as Marcus casually told her, he was looking through his father's closet looking for the perfect tux. It was like they were old friends and them heavily making out couldn't affect them. Goosebumps covered her skin and her eyes dilated as Marcus huskily asked, "Save me a dance?"

Emma didn't think he heart could beat any faster.

<><><>

Emma smiled towards her father as he leaned down and kissed her cheek, placing a piece of hair behind her ear and smiled, "We only do the best for you, you know this right?"

Emma immediately nodded her head, though questioning her love for Felix. She would never question her parent's ability to make the best decisions for her. Her father wiped a tear from the corner of his eye and hooked arms with his daughter and Emma ran her hand over her dress and sighed.

As the music started, and her father took his first step to lead her down the aisle

As the music started, and her father took his first step to lead her down the aisle. Emma's eyes scanned the crowd for Marcus and her eyes cast down when she couldn't find him. She felt stupid, thinking it was a good idea for him to come here, to her wedding. She felt selfish for hoping he would come.

Felix waited at the end of the aisle, his eyes wide as they gazed at Emma. He couldn't deny she was gorgeous. He seemed shocked that she was able to look like she looked. Emma wanted to roll her eye but held back, after all, this was her wedding. It would be inappropriate for the bride to roll her eyes while walking to her groom.

Reaching the end of the aisle, she resisted the urge to reach for her father. Wanting to tell him that this was a mistake, that this wasn't for her. That her thoughts on a marriage to Felix Hayden had changed. That her heart didn't beat the same when she was with Felix, that her skin didn't burn now that she was with Felix. But it was too late, her hands were already in Felix's and the priest was already marrying her off to become a Hayden and Marcus still hadn't come through the doors. Maybe he could stop her.

He didn't stop her, though, she had already heard Felix say 'I do.' She had already heard the priest call upon her to give herself to Felix and she had already falsely promised that she would. And as the priest asked the new couple to share their first kiss as husband and wife. Emma gulped.

She had thought of the first time she would kiss Felix as her husband and she thought she would be the first to lean in. She thought she would be on fire and her heart would give out but all she saw was his lips and her urge to lean away. And as Felix cupped her face and pulled her towards him.

The doors burst open and Marcus hurried in. Emma's head immediately turned to him and she gasped as Felix kissed her cheek before he leaned away with wide eyes before he turned to Marcus who had a defeated look on his face.