where's your ring, emma?

XV

Emma bit her lip, chewing softly at the flesh as Marcus walked up to her. He wasn't smiling at her like he always would. She didn't have the space to think to much into it, her mind was to occupied thinking about Dave. She didn't understand why he wanted to meet her in that empty classroom and she wasn't sure if she was going to go. Dave gave her an uneasy feeling when he suddenly asked her to meet him yet she couldn't not go. He was her friend, one of her closest and she was worried about him.

"Emma?" Emma's head snapped up at Marcus's voice and she smiled, she didn't want him to worry. Curling into his arms, she couldn't help the small sigh when he pulled her closer. Her body relaxed and she leaned into him, his scent calming her.

Even with the warmth they shared, Marcus still had that serious expression across his face. "Are you okay?" He asked, cupping her face. She leaned into his touch again and whispered, "I'm fine." She didn't want to ruin this moment with her concern for Dave.

"What's on your mind then?" He asked softly, lips brushing the skin of her cheek in a soft kiss.

Emma shook her head, silently telling him not to worry and intertwined her fingers with Marcus's, pulling him away from their conversation and towards the cafeteria. She smiled up at him, "Come on, I'm starving."

And there he was, passed Marcus's handsome face as he leaned against the door frame of the empty classroom Emma was supposed to meet him in. He was glaring at the back of Marcus's head before his eyes darted towards her. His expression was desperate and Emma's heart reached for him. She couldn't leave him in the classroom waiting for her, she might have been slightly scared with Dave's change in attitude during their chemistry period but she'd never not be there for him if she felt he wasn't okay.

Marcus tugged at her hand, frowning slightly at the expression across Emma's face. Turning her gaze back to Marcus's face, Emma sighed. He knew something was bothering her. "I— It's Dave."

She felt guilty, telling Marcus about Dave when she knew he only wanted her to be there in that room with him.

Marcus tensed and Emma looked up at him confused, he knew something was going on with Dave. Marcus frowned, rubbing soft circular motions on the back of Emma's hand, his head lowering as he spoke to Emma. Jaw clenched as he growled out, "What did he want?"

Emma gulped, eyes darting towards the base of Marcus's throat before whispering softly, as if that would control Marcus's reaction to the news. "He wanted me to meet him in an empty classroom."

Marcus chuckled darkly, shaking his head as he guided both of them towards the doors of the cafeteria. Pushing it open with his back, Marcus stared down at Emma, "You're not going."

Emma frowned, "But I'm worried about him."

Marcus sighed as he looked towards Emma's frown. He was also worried about Dave but he wasn't in the right head space to be near Emma.

Leaning down, he pecked her lips and smiled as Emma's eyes sparkled. Lighting up from looking so dull. Marcus would never have thought he would be here, with Emma, like this.

"Something's up with him, Emma and he might be one of my closest friends but I don't trust him around you."

"Then come with me." Emma suddenly said, slightly guilty for asking Marcus to come with her.

Sighing, Marcus looked down towards her, "Emma, I know you're worried—"

"I need to know he's okay." Emma stressed before glancing their lunch table they were making their way towards.