Season 8 Episode 12: As Time Goes By, Part 2

Sam and Dean headed back to the car to get their shovels from the trunk.

"How did you know what that symbol was" Henry asked her quietly?

"Hunters aren't all apes" she nodded. "We didn't have men of letters, so we adapted. My father was known as a facilitator. He was a source for knowledge, alibies, and basically anything else a hunter could need to fall back on. I had exorcisms memorized by the time I was an adult, and could problem solve almost anything as long as I had him to bat ideas off of."

"Sounds like a great man" He nodded to her.

"He was" She nodded, "And a better father."

"You were close" he examined her reaction.

"After my mom died, he raised me on his own" she nodded. "So yeah, we were close. And he was close with your grandsons too. Loved them like they were his own."

"John was lucky to have a friend like him" he told her as the boys returned and got to work.

"Tell me how we got stuck doing this" Dean grumbled?

"You're almost there babe" Robin smiled holding the flashlight for them.

"You know you used to offer to help with this" Dean called back to her.

"I'll make it up to you" she grinned.

They hit wood and lifted the lid to find a corpse wearing a military uniform.

"Hey, was, uh, Larry a World War I vet" Sam asked?

"No" Henry furrowed his brow

"Well, then, who's the stiff" Dean asked?

"No idea" Henry replied

"Captain Thomas J. Carey III" Sam read his tags. "That mean anything to you"?

"What if Larry pulled a "Don Draper" Robin asked? "Larry survives the fire, but wants everyone to think he's dead and assumes this guy's identity?"

"Okay" Henry nodded. "What are we waiting for, then?" He began to walk off before calling over his shoulder, "Cover this up. Let's be on our way."

The group found a motel and booked a couple of rooms for the night. They were congregated in Sam and Henry's room, Robin and Dean sat on their laptops while Sam was flipping through John's journal. Henry was sitting on the bed and whistling a song.

"What is that" Dean asked? "I know that tune."

"As time goes by" Robin replied, "It was a theme song to a British show in the 90's starring Judi Dench."

Dean looked at her in surprise.

"What" she shrugged? "Dad liked British comedies."

"It's from "Casablanca" Henry nodded.

"Okay sure we could go the iconic route" she shrugged returning to her laptop.

"Right" Sam nodded. "Dad used to whistle it from time to time."

"Your father saw "Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy" at the drive-in one night" Henry explained. "It scared the beeswax out of him. So, I got him this little music box that played that song to help him sleep at night. It worked like a charm."

"Wow" Sam nodded "it's hard to believe Dad was ever scared of anything."

"Got em" Robin announced. "Tom Carey lives in Lebanon, Kansas, and is a very happy 127-year-old." She leaned back in her chair and stretched.

Dean looked over at her screen and the corner of his mouth turned up. "Always come through babe" he told her before looking to the others. "Okay, I say we get some shut-eye, head over first thing in the morning."