Season 9 Episode 10: Road Trip

Robin stared at Kevin's face turned to her. Where his eyes should have been were burned holes, not unlike those she saw on Pam years before. But where Pam screamed in anguish, Kevin lay lifeless.

Dean still held her. "Kevin" he murmured. She looked to see the tears roll down his cheek. She got to her feet and headed for Kevin's room. She took the sheet off his bed and went to the storeroom for rope. She went back to the library and laid the sheet out before Dean got to his feet and helped her to move the body. They covered it and tied it up with the sheet.

No words were spoken as she went and retrieved an axe and started for outside the bunker. Dean was on her heels when they were met with the cool evening air and the last few rays of sunlight. They headed for the woods behind the bunker. Dean started to chop wood from a log while Robin gathered sticks and leaves to get the fire started. When they'd built the pyre, they returned for the bunker to retrieve Kevin's body.

They gave him a hunter's funeral. There were no words spoken, just silent thoughts no doubt going through both of their minds. Robin figured it would end like this for him eventually, but it wasn't before he got under her skin. She had grown to love that kid like he was her own brother. The protectiveness that Dean always had for Sam, she had started to understand it. She'd always expected it would be a demon to do this to him, not an angel. And certainly not one wearing Sammy.

Her breath hitched in her throat as she said her internal goodbyes to Kevin. At some point Dean's arms found her and encased her in a comforting hold. She allowed vulnerability, as the flood of tears escaped her.

When the two returned to the bunker, Dean started into the library where Kevin's study materials had been left. Robin was headed for a mirror in an attempt to get herself together.

That's when she heard it. The crash, bang, smash that told her Dean's grief had just turned to anger.

When she returned to the library he was shouting, and she silently wrapped her arms around him. His stance softened as he slowly lowered himself and her with him, to the floor. They both sobbed into the arms of the other.

When the two had regained their composure, Robin took a deep, buckling breath. "I'm calling Cas" she nodded. "He needs to be here. We need him."

"Yeah" the words barely escaped Dean's mouth.

Robin closed her eyes. Cas, I know what you said about staying away, but we need you.

She didn't get to pray another word when the angel appeared. "Robin, Dean" he gasped seeing them on the floor and the room in disarray. "I came as soon as you called."

Robin got to her feet. Instinctively she clung to her friend, thankful he didn't leave them hanging. Truth was he had every right too. Instead, he arrived without hesitation. He cradled Robin gently in his arms before he looked to see Dean going for a drink.

"Look at you" Dean sighed. "Suited up and ready to go." He poured himself a drink and gestured to the table. "We need to talk." Dean proceeded to tell Cas everything. The prayer he put out, the angel who responded. How he was still in Sam, how he was the one to make Castiel leave. How he had killed Kevin and left with Sam.

"Sammy was dying Cas" Dean defended. "What was I supposed to do?"

"You let an angel possess him" Castiel asked?

"Beat letting Robin try and heal him" Dean replied.

"You would have lost Robin too" Castiel nodded. "The damage done from the trials would have left both of their bodies and souls devastated."

"The fact he posed at Ezekiel, and we had your blessing with him, sort of put us at ease" Robin explained. "Though I guess, joke is on us right?"

"He said it was the only way" Dean added. "Now he left with Sammy and Kevin..." he stopped himself before he could utter the words.