Challenge One

Emily pov

"What does that even mean?" Spencer asked.

"What challenge?" I asked knowing no one knew the answer.

Just like that my phone beeped. Everyone stared at me while I pulled my phone out. 

Challenge one use my present from today to find your first location - A

I read it out to everyone who all looked confused. 

Except Spencer. "The tennis court at the country club I used to go to." 

"We'll drop Emilia off at my moms." I picked Emilia up off the floor where she had been playing with her puzzle. 

Alison pov

We dropped Emilia off at Emily's mom's house before we headed to the tennis court. It was getting dark and we were only a few minutes away. Spencer was driving like a mad person to get there as fast as possible. 

"What do you think this is? Do you think Hanna is here?" Emily asked.

"If she is A isn't going to make it easy to get her back." 

As soon as Spencer stopped the car we all jumped out and started running towards the tennis court. There was no one around not single car in the lot. 

"Han!" I shouted.

"She's not exactly going to answer if A has her." Spencer rolled her eyes.

"Be quiet Spencer." Emily snapped.

"What I.."

"Quiet!" Emily said again. "Don't you hear that?"

"What?" Caleb asked.

We all fell quiet and could hear what sounding like chains hitting off metal. We began running towards the sound. We got round to the tennis court and seen someone hanging up on one of the light poles. 

"Hanna!" Caleb shouted as he ran towards the figured tied up.

As we grew closer I could tell it wasn't Hanna and I began to slow down as I seen the massive hammer hanging over the persons head.

"Wait!" I shouted. 

Everyone stopped and looked at me.

"Ali what is it?" Emily looked at me concerned.

I searched around on the ground in the dark an that's when I seen it. I small wire around two poles just in front of Caleb. 

"Look." I pointed to the wire and it took everyone a few seconds before they seen it. 

"No one move." Spencer shouted.

We all looked around us not moving an inch searching for any more wires. 

"There is one over there at the other side of the court." Emily shouted.

"Emily is that you?" The figure tied up shouted.

I recognized that voice, it was the same voice I heard after Cece saved Emilia. 

"Maya?" Emily looked up confused.

"Emily whats happening? Why am I here?"

"Don't worry we'll get you out." Emily shouted back.

"Where is Hanna?" Caleb asked.

"Hanna? I don't know I haven't seen anyone."

"We need to get over to her there must be a clue to where Hanna is." I shouted to the others. 

"Just take your time and be careful." Spencer instructed us.

I slowly made my way closer to Maya checking before I made each step. One by one we made it to beside Maya.

"Whats going on?" Maya's eyes were red and sweat was dripping off her.

"We don't know." I lied.

Caleb began to untie the chains that held Maya to the pole.

"Stop!" Spencer shouted. 

Everyone looked as her startled. 

"The hammer is coming down when Caleb touches they chains." 

"How are we meant to get her out?" I asked.

"Maybe we're not. Look." Caleb pointed towards a pile of tennis balls. 

We all slowly walked towards them and started looking through them not actually knowing what we were looking for. 

"I found it!" Emily held up a tennis ball.

"Swim away little sharks - A" Emily read the writing that was written around the whole ball with a puzzle piece attached to the bottom.

"The school! Hanna must be there!" I exclaimed.

"We need to go." Everyone started to carefully head back towards the car. 

"Wait! What about Maya?" Emily stopped. 

I tried not to get jealous but I couldn't help it.

"Maya we will come back for you I promise but we don't know how much time we have." Spencer explained.

"Guys please don't leave me here." Maya cried.

"We will come back we wont be long. I promise Maya we will be back for you." Emily spoke softly.

We headed for the car again. It felt horrible leaving Maya there but we had no choice just now. Just as I made it to the edge of the tennis court I heard a bang and turned just as the hammer fell down. Maya scream rang in my ears before the tennis court fell silent. I felt sick seeing all the blood splatter on the ground as Maya's body was now lifeless hanging from the chains. To me it felt like I just watched it in slow motion and there was nothing I could do about it. The hammer came down so hard it cracked her skull open. I could see it even from this distance the damage it had done. I pulled Emily round to face me before she got the chance to turn around and see it.

"Ali?" Emily looked like she was going to throw up.

She began to cry and I pulled her into me. I held her head on me so she wouldn't look behind her. She was shaking vigorously in my arms.

"What happened?" Spencer looked distraught.

Someones phoned beeped but I didn't look up I kept my head on top of Emily's as she cried harder. 

"This is our fault." I could hear her saying quietly to herself.

"No it's not." I whispered into her ear.

"Challenge one successful - A" Spencer read out the text.

"SUCCESSFUL!" Emily screamed. "Maya's dead!" Emily fell to the ground with me as she cried in my arms.