Mr Fields

Alison pov

I could hear every word Mrs Fields was saying to Emily. She pulled herself together.

"Emily it's your dad." There was a long silence. "There was an explosion at his camp..... He didn't make it." I could hear Mrs Fields crying and Emily dropped her phone. She didn't move. I wasn't even sure she was breathing. I grabbed her and pulled her into me as tightly as I could. I could feel her sobbing into my chest. She screamed and squeezed her tighter. I didn't know what to say but I knew there was no way she could drive us to her house so I decided to text Spencer.

Can you come pick Emily and I up from mine and take us to her house. I'll explain tomorrow. Alison xx

I knew Spencer probably wouldn't be awake just now but I hoped the text would wake her up. Emily continued to cry into my chest and in a matter of seconds Spencer had texted me back.

I'll be there in 5 minutes

I sat up and lifted Emily's head.

"Spencer is coming to pick us up and take us to your house. We need to get dressed."

She just stared at me with a blank expression. I got of bed and got dressed quickly. I sat Emily up on the bed and helped her get dressed. I had never seen her like this. Tears continued to stream down her face as she sobbed silently.

"Em?"

I turned around to see Spencer standing at the entrance of my bedroom.

"What's happened?" She sat in front of Emily and Emily just stared straight through her.

She looked at me waiting for an answer.

"There was an explosion at Mr Fields camp."

"He's going to be okay though right?"

Emily broke down completely. I threw my arms around her as she fell back on to the bed. I could feel her heart beating rapidly against my arm.

"Em we need to go your mom had Emilia and I don't think she will be in a fit state to be able to keep an eye on her." I help Emily up and we headed down stairs.

Emily got into the back of Spencer's car and I followed behind her. She curled up and put her head on my lap. The whole drive to Emily's house was complete silence. I played with Emily's hair hoping it would calm her a little.

When we pulled up outside Emily's house and Mrs Field came out the front door holding Emilia.

"Spence can you help her out so I can get Emilia."

"Sure."

I jumped out of the car and ran over to Mrs Fields. I gave her a quick hug then took Emilia. She was shaking. As soon as Emily got to the door she flung her arms around her mom. Spencer stood beside me. Emilia began crying and put her arms out for Emily but I knew there was no way Emily was going to be able to hold her and comfort her just now. I could feel tears building up in my eyes.

"Lets take Emilia for a walk." Spencer suggested.

I could see that Emily was beginning to calm down and began walking down the driveway. I tried to calm Emilia but the further we got from Emily the fussier she got. We began walking along the street.

"I don't know what I'm going to do when I go back. I don't know how to help her."

"Just be there. I'm sure Emilia will be a good distraction when she needs it."

I looked down at Emilia who had now calmed down and was looking around. I had never really carried her like this along the street. We sat down on the grass for a bit to give Emily and her mom some space. I sat Emilia down on the grass and she ran her fingers through it. I never really realised how everything was a new thing for her, and every new thing was something for her to try put in her mouth. I flicked the grass from her hand before she even tried.

"Ali I know I wasn't happy about you and Emily at first and I'm sorry for that."

"It's okay I understand you were just worried about Emily, but you should know I really love her and I wouldn't hurt her."

"I know that now. Ali theres something I need to tell you."

"If its about Jason I already know you told him that he was your brother. Don't worry I'm not mad at you, I mean I guess it sort of makes you Emilia's family too. With A around she is going to need all the family she can get to protect her."

I looked at Emilia and she was eating a leaf, I guess there was no stopping her.

"Ali A isn't going to hurt Emilia not with so many people around protecting her." Spencer smiled then pulled her phone out. "Wow its 7am already we should probably head back I need to get my school stuff."

I picked up Emilia, whos hands were full of grass and we walked back to Emily's house.