Chapter-8

Sisley, who was unconscious, soon woke up unscathed.

Fortunately, the misunderstanding was cleared up. Perhaps because the threat had already come out from his mouth, Philen didn't visit me again.

The threat he left behind became a big stone and weighed heavily on my heart. To make matters worse, the rain made me feel depressed and fell to the bottom.

The rain started late at night and continued to rain the next day. On days like this, it was best to stay in the room and read books without doing anything, but sadly, I couldn't.

"Wow, it's raining a lot."

It's because Countess Thebesa came to visit.

The fact that I had to deal with her when my mind was confused and complicated felt terrible. However, since I couldn't ask the woman who had come to go back again, I smiled hard and greeted her.

"Welcome, Mother."

Using the title that's only used in front of other people.

Countess Thebesa frowned slightly, as if not liking when I called her mother.

"Yeah, I'm glad you seem to be doing well. Leila."

For a moment, she looked at me wearing the mask of a loving mother, like a person who had long been in the social world.

I held back my stomach, trying not to laugh.

Couldn't stand to continue talking in the hall, I headed to the parlor with Countess Thebesa. She came in and asked for everyone but her to be sent out.

I guessed she wanted to take off the mask she's forced to wear. I was also hoping for it, so I was willing to accept it.

The maid put down the refreshments and stepped back. After everyone disappeared, a heavy silence flowed into the parlor where the two were left alone.

"Your face looks really good." Countess Thebesa, who had taken off her mask, said while picking up the teacup with a frosty face. "Even though it's like that, you have a good face. I don't know if I should say it's good, or... should I say stupid?"

Is it an insult for me from the beginning?

I wasn't in a good mood, but it was something I heard often, so I was able to keep my expressionless face.

"I'm not in the mood for a long conversation, so just tell me your business. "

As I spoke straight out, Countess Thebesa twisted her mouth. "You're rude as always."

"Would you like to have a long conversation with me, Mother?" I deliberately called her mother.

The Countess looked at me with a frown. Her eyes were full of disapproval. If it was in the past, I would avoided her gaze because I didn't know what to do, but it wasn't me now. I calmly caught her gaze.

Countess Thebesa snorted and put the teacup down. "Don't pretend like a real Duchess just because you've been acting like a duchess. Don't forget Leila..." Her friendly smile was creepy. "You're still Leila Thebesa."

It might not be an illusion that she emphasized the word of Thebesa.

I didn't like the fact that I was still wearing the title of Thebesa.

I wanted to let her know that I knew it too, but I stopped. I didn't want to argue with this woman for such a trivial thing.

"You didn't come here to say that, did you?"

"I heard that Duke Williot brought a mistress into the mansion."

I picked up the teacup and stopped at Countess Thebesa's next comment.