Chapter-65

The party was over, but the heat didn't cool down until the next day.

This was because Leila's story had spread throughout the social world.

It was shocking that Leila officially declared her breakup with Philen, but the most talked-about among the people was that Kalian granted Leila the baron title.

"Oh my God. I can't believe he's giving a title to a woman. Is His Majesty sane?"

"It is said that if you're blind to love, you can't make right judgments. His Majesty must be trying to hide the fact that she is a mistress with that."

"That means he cherishes the lady that much, right?"

"I feel sorry for Duke Williot only."

Regardless of age or gender, they talked about the relationship between Kalian and Leila. While the talk about Philen came up once in a while.

And so, the rumor about Leila being Kalian's mistress became solid as if it was true.

Because of the fact that Kalian granted Leila the baron title, the nobles gathered at the Duke of Giltian from early hours.

"This is nonsense!"

The young nobleman slammed the table, enraged.

"I can't believe he's giving a title to a lady! His Majesty can't do that unless he's out of his mind!"

"That's right!"

The other nobles ranted and raved as they agreed with him.

"Let's rush to His Majesty right now and tell him that it absolutely can't be allowed!"

"It's no use though."

"How can you know that?!"

"Because I've already done it."

A nobleman who had already met Kalian during the morning audience groaned and touched his head with his hand.

"I told you it wouldn't work. When I said that, he threw the Imperial Codes of Law before me."

"Codes of Law?"

"Yeah. Looking for a reason why Leila Thebesa shouldn't be granted the baron title."

When he said that, they had no choice but to step down quietly without saying anything.

Because they already knew that they couldn't find such a law even if they searched in the Codes of Law.

"So there's no point in going and saying it can't be allowed."

"We can say that it is a custom, not a law!"

"You can't overturn the Imperial order with customs alone. Rather, you'll be ridiculed for bringing up old customs, you know?"

"Then, what should we do?! Are you just going to watch that lass take the title?"

"That's not what I meant..."

TANG-!

When Duke Giltian put down the cup hard, the noisy room became quiet at once.

Everyone kept their mouths shut like clams and read Duke Giltian's mood.

On the other hand, Duke Giltian calmly tilted the pitcher to fill his empty cup.

The heavy silence was broken when Duke Giltian, who was drinking water silently, emptied his newly filled cup.

"It's obviously obsolete to stick to the custom. But if you want to break the custom, you must have a good reason."

Duke Giltian's gray eyes flashed eerily.