Chapter-85

"If the Natsha Kingdom helps us clear the pirates, we will set up a trading base in Khan and set up a 'jogyeji' so that the Natsha Kingdom can use it."

[T/N: Jogyeji is mainly an area set up in the open port so that foreigners can enjoy extraterritorial rights in the country while living freely. More or less is like this :D]

At my words, the diplomats of the Natsha Kingdom opened their eyes wide in surprise.

"And to compensate for the damages suffered by the Natsha Kingdom due to the Empire's mistake, we will reduce the export tax on grain for 10 years, as well as increase the limit."

And at my added words, their wide open mouths looked like they were hardly closed.

On the other hand, the nobles of the Empire looked at me with a puzzled look.

They seemed to not understand at all why I suddenly said this or why the Natsha Kingdom had such a reaction.

Of course, they didn't understand.

They didn't even read the data I gave them, and this story was a story that I had with Kalian through the messenger bird privately yesterday.

"...you knew that."

Diane said in a trembling voice, covering her mouth with her hands.

"You knew from the beginning what kind of situation in our kingdom is... and what our real reason for wanting Khan is."

"I knew."

The Natsha Kingdom was importing half of its food and producing half in its own country.

However, domestic production continued to decline every year. Land unsuitable for farming and volatile weather were the factors.

If this continued, there's a very high possibility that their domestic production would become zero in the near future.

So the Natsha Kingdom studied various countermeasures, but there's no other good way than to increase grain imports.

However, the amount of grain that could be imported from the Cardin Empire, the main importer, was limited, and the more imported, the higher the tax.

In the long run, the food problem couldn't be solved.

That's why the Natsha Kingdom, which was worried about this, tried to import grain from other countries as well as the Empire by using Khan as a trading base.

"What are you going to do, Marquis Azef?"

I smiled and looked at Marquis Azef.

"As the Emperor's agent, I will ask. Would you accept His Majesty's offer?"

Although it took some time to discuss with the others, Marquis Azef eventually accepted the Empire's offer.

It was much more beneficial than taking Khan's permanent residency or receiving compensation for the damages, so there was no reason to refuse.

The benefit was the same for the Empire.

In addition to maintaining the territorial waters, it became possible to clear the pirates, which were troublesome.

Was that all? We could also continue to secure trade routes with the Natsha Kingdom, the main exporting country.

Since the tax was lowered, it might seem like a loss right now, but in the long run, it was a huge benefit.

It was also helpful in managing the external image.

After talking more briefly, the meeting was over.