Chapter-12

When I held out the fan, the man looked over the fan and looked at me.

His eyes were wondering, 'how is she going to defeat the enemy with this?'

"Look closely."

As I brought the fan closer to him and said, the man looked carefully at it.

Soon the man, who found a pointed acupuncture point on the tip of the fan rib, let out a small exclamation.

"This?"

"It's a needle with paralysis poison. It's not life-threatening, but you can't move for two days."

I lightly pressed the handle of the fan. Then, the needle disappeared into the fan rib.

The man whistled interestingly. "This is my first time seeing this kind of fan."

"Of course it is. I made this myself."

The position of the next duchess was more life-threatening than I thought. In particular, when the Duke couple died, the mansion was in danger. Numerous people attacked Philen with me aiming for Duke Williot. When Philen went to the war, the attack became more severe.

There were escort knights, but they couldn't keep protecting every minute. And I couldn't trust them completely. In fact, there were times when they attacked me under the guise of a servant or an escort knight.

There were also times when those who I believed betrayed me, and I realized it then. I couldn't trust anyone. I had to protect myself.

I thought about learning swordsmanship, but it was unacceptable in nobility society for the noble Lady to learn swordsmanship. The noble lady in their heads was like a flower in a greenhouse which had to be protected.

Above all, I wasn't good at swordsmanship at all. I thought it would take at least 10 years to learn swordsmanship enough to protect myself.

I was wondering if there was another way, and what came to mind was carrying self-defense goods. But, the self-defense goods sold on the market were just too inconvenient and useless to carry around.

"So I made it myself. Something that's easy for me to use."

"Amazing." The man's eyes glistened with genuine admiration.

I didn't mean to hear that answer. I was shy for nothing, so I turned and coughed. "Anyway, I want you to get rid of the prejudice that women can't protect themselves. I can protect myself enough."

"I didn't mean it that way, but I apologize if it sounded like that." The man lowered his head lightly with his hand on his chest.

I shook my head at the impeccably polite apology. "I didn't mean to ask for an apology either."

I handed the fan to Sarah, grabbed the hem of my skirt, and bent my knees lightly. "And thank you. Thanks to the Lord, I was safe."

"It was nothing." The man replied with a cheerful smile.

Unlike the overbearing atmosphere, he was a gentle man. It would have been nice if Philen was this polite and kind.

What am I thinking now?

Comparing your fiancé to another man. It was a stupid thing to do. It was tantamount to self-painting my face. I quickly erased the delusions that came to mind.

"Then I, may the glory of the empire always be with the Lord."

"I hope the glory of the empire will always be with you, too."

I said goodbye to the man and turned around. Sarah followed me with a regretful face.

"He was really handsome and beautiful, the Lord." In a dreamy voice, Sarah shared a review of the man she had just met. "It would be great if I could have such a beautiful person beside me."