Chapter-52

At first, I was very nervous about eating with the emperor, but after doing it a few times, I got used to it. It's also thanks to Baron Delrond.

When I arrived at the dining room, as usual, I sat to Kalian's right and Baron Delrond to his left.

As everyone was seated, the attendants served the food. The large table was quickly filled.

"Your Majesty, I have something to tell you about the reward for the war hero..."

When Baron Delrond talked about work matters even before eating, Kalian's forehead wrinkled.

"I don't want to talk about work while eating."

"I apologize, but I don't have time. After eating, I have to go back to the outer palace."

Kalian clicked his tongue in annoyance and picked up his glass of wine.

"Because of the problem of distributing the spoils..."

Ver didn't care and began reporting again.

Kalian listened to Ver's report steadily while showing off his annoyance.

They're having a serious conversation, and I didn't think I should be the only one eating, so when I tried to put down the fork...

"Leila."

Kalian called me. I was startled and picked up the fork again.

"I will keep eating."

"What are you talking about?"

...huh? Isn't that what you mean?

"The things Ver just told me, did you hear it?"

Embarrassed for no reason, I quietly put the fork down again and looked at Kalian.

"If you're talking about compensation for the bereaved family, I heard it."

"I want to hear your thoughts about it."

My thoughts?

I was taken aback. Baron Delrond was in full charge of this matter, so I had nothing in my mind about it.

"If you give me some time, I will investigate..."

"I want to hear your opinion purely, rather than a standard answer based on data."

"But I don't know anything about this issue..."

"So, what's your opinion?"

He cut me off and asked again. No matter what, he was determined to hear my answer now.

What should I do? What kind of answer must I give to satisfy him?

It wasn't that I didn't have any thoughts at all, but I couldn't tell him because I didn't know if this was right or not.

"Hmm, did I ask something too difficult?"

His sigh woke me up as if cold water had been poured onto me.

Hold yourself together, Leila.

The Emperor's testing you.

I was afraid that if I showed a foolish side here, I would never be recognized by Kalian.

But, it would be better to say anything.

I took a deep breath and slowly spoke my thoughts.

"As Baron Delrond said, I also agree to give consolation money to the bereaved family. One... more than that. I think there is an issue that needs to be solved first."