Chapter-145

Kalian had sent a letter to Philen that he didn't need to return until spring. It was to prevent Leila and Philen from meeting.

What should I do when spring comes?

He couldn't keep delaying Philen's return, so he had to find another way.

For example, sending him to another area. But sending Philen, the Minister of Marshal and commander-in-chief, was absurd.

Should I take this opportunity to cut him out?

In his mind, he wanted to do that. But he couldn't cut a high-ranking noble out at will for no reason, especially if it was a duke.

Moreover, there was no one to replace Philen as commander-in-chief. Even though Philen was incompetent on the other side, when it came to war and swordsmanship, he was arguably the best in the empire.

Seeing him this way, his head wasn't actually that bad, but he wondered why it didn't roll on the other side.

Anyway, considering many things, it was unreasonable to remove Philen from being the commander-in-chief. Then, the only way was to send him out. Or starting a war.

Of course, the latter was way too extreme. The last six years of war had taken a heavy toll on the empire, so it was imperative to prevent another one.

Then, what should I do?

There was still time until spring, so he thought he could think about it slowly, but he didn't expect Philen to appear at the palace before his vacation was over.

When he asked him out of absurdity, Philen politely greeted Kalian.

"I see Your Majesty the Emperor, the sun of the Empire."

His handsome appearance, which once shook the social world, had turned gaunt.

After Cecily's atrocities were revealed and Leila left, he heard he was addicted to alcohol. It seemed to be true when he looked at him.

"Put away the formal greetings you don't even care about."

Kalian crossed his arms and leaned against the door obliquely.

"I ask you one more time. What are you doing here when you should still be on vacation?"

Philen's expression subtly hardened at the way he treated him as if he was an uninvited guest.

Philen answered, hiding his hardened expression by bowing his head.

"I am grateful for Your Majesty's concern for me, but it seems that I have been away for too long, so I want to return soon."

"What if I say no?"

"I still intend to keep coming."

It meant he would stay in the capital and keep coming to the palace.

He should have felt proud that he wanted to work even while on vacation, but the reason he didn't feel that way was because he knew what Philen was up to.

He wants to see Leila, doesn't he?

Because of the notarized wish, he couldn't go to see Leila directly, so he was trying to see her like this.

Seriously, he was a master at making people annoyed.

"Not allowed. If the Duke comes to the palace while on vacation, some will misunderstand that the Duke has returned, so come back after your vacation is over."

"Then Your Majesty should accept my return request."

"You repeat the same thing over and over again, huh?"