Chapter-11

The man, who walked while holding the girl's hair, stopped sharply. He looked back at me with an irritated face. He looked me up and down and shook his hand in annoyance.

"You seem like a precious young lady. Don't interrupt me and go."

"To whom that rude man dares...!"

When Sarah got angry at the rude man's attitude, I raised my hand to calm her down.

"What are you doing now?"

"What am I doing? Of course, I'm collecting money."

The man answered my question obediently while giving a full look of annoyance.

"These kids borrowed money and they haven't paid it back for more than six months. So would I be angry or not?"

"Of course you'll be angry."

"Right? As expected, a well-educated girl knows well."

At my answer, the man smiled triumphantly, and the girl, who looked at me like a savior, bowed her head.

"If she doesn't have money, don't you think she should pay it back with her body? I'm taking her with me, as the saying goes."

"You're trying to sell the girl to a brothel?"

"Well, that's one of those ways too."

Unable to say the words confidently, the man swallowed his words.

"How much money do these kids have to repay?"

"Why? Will you repay me for them?"

Ordinary nobles might have shouted that they would pay him back right here, but I had no intention of doing so.

"No. Why should I do that?"

As I answered coldly, the man scratched his head as if he was speechless.

"Then why are you asking?"

"I just asked because I was curious. Can't I?"

"It's not like you can't... Well, I'm not saying that I can't tell you. The total is 500 gold."

Considering the monthly living cost of a commoner's family of four was about 10 gold, it was quite a lot of money. I couldn't believe these kids borrowed such a large amount of money.

As I looked at the girl in surprise, she shouted with a vein on her neck.

"No! The money I borrowed was 30 gold first! But suddenly he told me to pay him back 500 gold!"

"It's interest, interest. If you borrowed money, it's natural to repay with interest too, right?"

"Interest..."

She borrowed 30 gold, and six months later, it became 500 gold...

"You're saying the interest rate is 60%?"

At my words, the man looked at me in great surprise.

"The highest interest rate for the loan business set by the empire is 30%."

I kept talking, looking straight into the shaking man's eyes.

"You got 30% more?"

"No, that's all for a reason..."

Unlike before, when he was confident, his voice was shaking. The man couldn't even look me in the eye properly.

"Enough."

Whatever the man said, I had no intention of listening, so I cut his words firmly. There was no reason to listen.

"You can make excuses in the courtroom. They'll give you a verdict."