Chapter-23

Philen's unexpected action made my heart pounding as the storm had passed.

I was glad it worked out, otherwise, he would be a laughing stock among people for a long time.

Not only Philen, but also me who was beside him.

It was terrifying just to think about it.

Once again, I swept my chest relieved that I had made it through safely.

But, on the other hand, Philen looked displeased.

"What's wrong, Duke?"

"...no, nothing."

Who would believe you if you said no with that face?

I was curious, but it seemed like he didn't want to talk about it, so I didn't ask deeply.

Then Philen's face became a little more discontented.

His sour look continued throughout the party.

The other nobles looked at us strangely, so I stabbed him in the side to tell him to take care of his expression, but it didn't work.

It was the same in the carriage on the way home from the banquet.

As he looked out the window with the words 'I'm sulking' all over his body, I had no choice but to ask him again.

"What on earth is the matter with you?"

As soon as I spoke, Philen asked back as if he had been waiting.

"Why didn't you tell me beforehand?"

That's what he said.

I didn't know what he meant, so I just stared at him, and Philen added.

"Why didn't you tell me beforehand that there was such a custom?"

Custom?

Ah, was he talking about not holding another ceremony when there's a great ceremony in the Imperial Palace?

From his appearance earlier, I thought he knew.

Ridiculous. Why did he act on his own and then question me?

This time, as I stared at him dumbfoundedly, Philen put deep wrinkles on his forehead.

"Did you want to see me humiliated by the Emperor?"

What on earth is going on in your head to be able to think like that?

I really wanted to look into his head.

"There's no way I would want that."

"Then why didn't you tell me beforehand?"

"Did you give me a chance to talk?"

When I answered back as if it was ridiculous, Philen said in a muffled voice, as if he had just remembered that he hadn't done so.

"But, it would be better if you told me in advance."

"How could I know what you're going to do, when you're going to do it, and tell you in advance? I'm sorry, but I can't foretell."

Then, I kept my mouth shut when I was about to say that I never thought he would have forgotten such basic common sense.

If I told him that far, that proud Philen would definitely run amok.

Even now, when I pointed out his mistakes, he kept his mouth shut and had a sour look on his face.

He knew what he had done was wrong, but he didn't want to admit it because of his pride.

Seriously, his pride was unnecessarily strong.