Chapter-98

Marquis Valdir turned red at my question and raised his voice.

"Lady, you think I'm proposing to attribute the Lady's credit to the entire Ministry of Foreign Affairs for my authority and gain?"

Is it not? It looks that way to me though.

"I'm doing this purely for the sake of the Empire! Not a bit of personal greed!"

"So am I."

"...so are you?"

"Yes."

I didn't understand Marquis Valdir's mind at all, but I pretended to understand and said with a smile.

"I also want to attribute this to everyone for the sake of the Empire, but if it is found out that this is not true, all the aftermath will go to you, Marquis."

"...all the aftermath will go to me?"

"Yes. There are bound to be people like me who don't notice your sincerity and think you're stealing the ball."

Marquis Valdir didn't say anything as to whether it might be true that he might get stabbed.

Fortunately, he didn't seem to have sold out his conscience completely.

"That's why I thought it would be better to just tell the truth from the beginning."

"...in summary, it's okay if others don't find out about it, right?"

"At that time, there were many eyes in the conference room, starting with the diplomatic envoy of the Natsha Kingdom. Are you confident it won't be found out for the rest of your life?"

Marquis Valdir shut his mouth after giving off a nuance that he would do what he wanted. He couldn't seem to be confident about that.

Marquis Valdir's expression was still bad. Well, if things didn't go his way, it couldn't have felt good.

Whatever Marquis Valdir felt, it had nothing to do with me.

...no, he could go around cursing me behind my back, right?

I was skeptical because there were similar records before.

If Marquis Valdir did that, my image among the nobles would be worse. That would be a big hindrance to me becoming a baron in the future, and it would interfere with my work.

I can't let that happen.

I didn't know anything else, but I had to prevent it from interfering with my work.

If that happened, not only it wouldn't end my problem, but it would also affect Kalian and Baron Delrond, so I had to prevent it unconditionally.

But how?

I can't say I'm accepting his offer now.

...ah!

Right. I can use that method.

Thinking of a good trick, I said.

"But if they did find out, as the Marquis said, it wouldn't be good for the honor of the Empire and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs."

Marquis Valdir looked at me strangely. He also looked suspicious.

"Of course, I don't want that either, so I would like to make a suggestion to you."

"Suggestion?"

"Yes. It's not that the Marquis and the members of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs couldn't do anything during the diplomatic meeting this time, it's that you didn't."