Chapter-16

I wanted to go to a quiet place where there were no people, so I asked the coachman to take me to such a place.

The coachman took me to a deserted mountain outside the capital.

It was a beautiful place with a clear view of the capital. I liked it even more because there were no people and it was quiet.

"Go back now. You can pick me up in about two hours."

"But My Lady, there's no escort knight, no maid, and leaving My Lady alone..."

"It's okay. I want to be alone, so please leave me alone."

At my order, the coachman was forced to go.

Being left alone, I sat under a tree that was too large to be hugged by several men and looked at the capital.

It was closer to being carried away than looking at it.

I gave up thinking because when I thought of something, Cecily and Philen would come to my mind. And yet, I kept thinking of what they said. In particular, what Philen said became a sharp dagger and shredded my heart.

I knew that Philen didn't mean to say anything bad. I bet he had no idea what Cecily did wrong.

That's why I hated it even more. I would rather hate him openly if he said it with malice, but I couldn't because it came from ignorance.

"Our Philen isn't very tactful, but please understand him with a broad mind."

Suddenly, I remembered what the predecessor Duchess had said.

"He doesn't have a bad heart. So please, teach him well. Okay?"

The young me naively believed it. I had no choice but to believe. Young Philen was stubborn as the predecessor Duchess said, but he listened well when I told him.

So, even though it's frustrating once in a while, even though I was hurt by what he said casually, I thought it was okay to stay this way because this place was better than Count Thebesa's.

But I'm wrong.

It was as painful as it was at Count Thebesa's. It was so painful that my tears flowed down on their own.

There's no one around, but someone could hear me. So, I buried my face between my knees and cried as loudly as I could.

I was crying desperately, hoping that the wounds of my heart would be washed away as much as the tears poured out.

As I was crying, I suddenly felt someone's presence.

I looked up and saw a luxurious handkerchief. When I looked up a little more, I saw a familiar face.

It was that man. The man who saved me from that rude.

But, why was this man here?

"Why are you crying in a place like this?"

Ah, right. I was crying.

I hurriedly wiped my tears because I was embarrassed for showing this ugly appearance to someone I wasn't even close to.

"You'll hurt your eyes."

The man grabbed my urgent hand. Then he gently pressed my tearful eyes with his handkerchief. It was a kind touch.

"....I will do it."

I was not used to receiving such kindness from a stranger. So I took the handkerchief irreverently from the man.

The man looked slightly embarrassed. "Sorry..."

"It's okay."

When he realized his mistake a little late and tried to apologize, the man loosened his mouth. "Go ahead and wipe your tears."