𝑶𝒏𝒆 𝑯𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒓𝒆𝒅 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑭𝒊𝒇𝒕𝒚-𝑺𝒊𝒙

╔═══════════════╗
spring 1981,
McKinnon, Meadowes
╚═══════════════╝

Sirius had a few close calls, nothing he couldn't handle, he often slipped into Padfoot to make swift getaways. The only way Aimee could get him to stay with her was to complain of pains in her stomach. She didn't want to have to lie to him, however, it seemed to be the only thing that worked.

She recently heard from Regulus, he was fine though his mother was withdrawn, rarely had visitors since, Elizabeth Burke's arrest. He still hadn't figured out who might have told the Dark Lord of the prophecy, it was as though the person in question didn't stick out too much, or never actually saw the Dark Lord in person.

Aimee sat in her father's study, writing a letter to her grandmother. It was Hadrian and Carden's first birthday, she hoped that her grandmother could read them the letter for their birthday, she just finished the last sentence.

"Sirius, I've written a letter for Grammy to read to the boys on their birthday, what do you think?" she asked, he read through the letter, nodding his head. "Do you not want to add anything?"

"They're one, they aren't going to remember-" she slapped his arm, "what was that for?"

"I don't care about that, I want them to know that they never left our thoughts, we went out of our way to actually visit Rhea and Phoebe, on their birthday just because Hadrian and Carden are one and won't remember doesn't mean I won't-

"Alright, I'm sorry," he said, sighing loudly, "I've been so focused on assignments I never give myself chance to think about them, it makes it easier," he admitted

"Thinking about the children is the only thing keeping me going," she told him, "but if you don't want to that's fine,"

He was about to speak when she walked away into the living room, she sat on the sofa, with her photo album. Sirius walked towards the living room, stopping when he heard Aimee talking to herself.

"I miss you boys every day, if you were here you'd know what to say," he looked around the corner, she was talking to a picture of Charlie, Theo and Jacob, she began to sing a little lullaby to her stomach.

By the time May had arrived, Aimee had grown tired of Sirius' constant recklessness, a few nights ago he had come home, with blood all over him. It caused a huge argument between the pair, he even slept on the sofa to avoid the tension between them.

It was when they had arguments like this when she was thankful the children weren't around. Aimee sat in the kitchen eating her breakfast, she didn't bother to make him any, as the second he woke up, he had every intention of heading straight out however, he wanted to try and make amends with her.

She read through the daily prophet like she did every morning, there was a glimmer of hope, as more and more death eaters were being caught. There still wasn't any sign of her cousins Amycus and Alecto being caught yet, she had questioned if they were the ones responsible for killing her brothers and Laura.

As Sirius entered the kitchen, she took her plate and went to eat upstairs, he hated fighting with her. More so when she didn't talk to him, afterwards he sighed as he began to cook his own breakfast, usually having the children around would break the ice between them a little.

"Sirius, I need to talk to you it's about your friends,"

"Reg, I can't you're going to have to come here," he said into his ring, knowing that Aimee would just about lose her mind if he went out right this second.

When Regulus arrived, he noted the eerie atmosphere was just like his childhood home, husband and wife at each other's throats. He didn't think Sirius and Aimee could ever have this coldness between them, he looked around.

There was no sign of the children anywhere, he didn't believe that they would fall apart, while he was gone. He noted that Aimee wasn't around to greet him either, she almost always, hugged him and kissed his cheek.

"What the hell happened?" he asked, "I leave for a couple of months and this place goes to shit, where are the kids?"

"Aimee's grandmothers,"

"And where's Aimee,"

"Upstairs, she isn't talking to me," Regulus thought now would not be the best time to get into what happened between them. "What did you want?"

"Are you still friends with Marlene McKinnon and Dorcas Meadowes?"

"Yes, why?"

"The Dark Lord is setting up plans to kill them, I still trying to figure out who the mole might be-

"About the mole, could you listen out for a name?" he nodded

"Wormtail, if you hear that name, warn me,"

"Yeah, who is it?" Sirius was surprised to know Regulus didn't know his friend's nicknames.

"Just a suspicion,"

Sirius had been cautious of Peter, ever since Phoebe wouldn't go anywhere near, cried whenever he was around and she literally said, that he was a scary man. It was just finding the right piece of evidence to confront him.

Then he owed Remus an apology. A very overdue apology. Even if Remus wasn't aware of his distrust in the last year, Aimee never once questioned Remus' loyalty, she could always trust him. There wasn't a doubt in her mind that Remus would be there for them.