The necklace

Once I arrived at my fathers office doors, the guard announced to me and gestured for me to walk in.

There were a few men standing around a large table discussing Kingdom matters.

"Yes darling, what can I help you with?" My father asked his eyes still on the map the men were looking at.

"I would like to join Lord Jamies on his journey." I said not paying the other  mens expressions any attention.

"Men please excuse us." My father said as he looked towards me. Then gestured towards a chair near his desk. I sat down and shifted in my seat while he walked around the large desk and sat down in his chair.

"Tell me why I should let you go with Lord James?" He said while he folded his hands and lifted his eyebrows waiting for me to respond.

"Well father, I would like to go to have more experience with other kingdoms. Also this will show me first hand how to handle matters of the cort."

"You have a point, however I still don't trust anyone with taking care of my daughter. So I will let you go on this journey. However, you must bring along my best guards along the way."

I eagerly sat up and gave my father a hug, "Thank you!"

"I will give word to Lord James that you shall be joining them. You go get everything ready. I believe you will be leaving later tonight." He said while giving me a quick kiss on the top of my head.

I ran as fast as my feet would allow me to, until I reached my door. I walked in and closed the door behind me.

I had to take a minute to get my breathing under control before I took off towards my closet. I nearly died of a heart attack when Kristan started to speak.

"Your father told me to help you pack for a long journey. I have packed some gowns and clothes for travel. Also I packed you some cookies for the carriage ride."

I thanked her as she placed me into a royal blue gown. Then once she was done I heeded as fast as I could to the stables.

I was abruptly stopped by my mother in the hallway. She gestured for me to follow her until we were in her office. "Mother I must be off if I am to be at the stables in time to go with Lord James." I said

"I know but this won't take long." She said as she made her way towards her desk. She took out a key then opened a tiny jewelry box. She lifted the necklace into the air, and observed it for a few moments before returning her eyes to me.

"Darling, I wish I had more time to explain everything. However this has been in our family for generations. I want you to wear it on this journey to protect you."

She said while carefully pinning the necklace around my neck. I was lost for words as she pushed me out of her door and walked me to the stables.