Preparing

As I walked towards my chamber the hallways were filled with silence. There wasn't another human soul in sight until I found Izzy with the two girls packing a bag in my chambers.

"There you are." She said as she threw some clothes into a bag.

"Why must we rush?" I asked while placing a small kiss upon Adelines head when she hugged me.

"Every month the kings ask everyone to leave the castle for a full week. And we must all leave before dinner." Izzy said while frantically trying to find shoes for Adeline.

"Why must we leave before dinner?" I tried my best to seem oblivious to the truth.

"A few years ago a King from another kingdom sent a dangerous beast to torment the castle for a week straight. Ever since then, the beast comes once a month for exactly one full week."

Izzy said in a hushed voice, making sure the little ones couldn't hear.

"After hearing that, I have a slight change in our destination plans then." I whispered into her ear.

"Girls while we pack, go play in the sitting room." Izzy demanded. Once the doors were closed she leaned in towards me.

"Now we can speak without any ears listening." She said with a smile as she neatly stacked some clothes.

" My mother had a secret hiding spot a little distant from the castle. I would like to go there instead of a nearby village." I said while handing her some things to add to my suitcase.

"Do you believe it will be safe?" She asked while placing down the bag and looking towards me with a considered look.

"It is protected by blood magic. Only Adeline and I can open the stone wall." I said hpeong she will feel safe knowing.

I had told her once before I was a witch long ago. However I believe she had forgotten, by the look on her face when I mentioned magic.

"Shall I go tell the king you will be safe there for the week?" she asked in a calm manner. After containing her composer and remembering what I told her before.

"No. I would rather only know where we are." I said while allowing the girls to come back into the room.

                          ********

A couple of hours later

We ate lunch at the palace and packed food to last us a few days in the secret hideout. Then we got into a carriage towards another village.

Once we arrived Izzy and I stole two horses and began to make our way back towards the palace. By the time we arrived night was soon approaching us.

Thankfully we were able to make it to the secret spot before night had taken over completely.

"Do you have a knife?" I asked while getting off my horse.

"Yes." Izzy said while helping Danielle off the horse. I helped Adeline down before walking over towards the secret entryway.

I hated how my mother kept the knowledge of magic out of my life. So I have made sure Adeline grew up knowing what it is and how dangerous it can be if you use too much.

I cut the palm of my hand and placed it upon the rock. We carefully made our way into the dark cave and like before the candles began to light as I walked past them.

"Charlotte and I will get the blankets while you two play." Izzy said as she hugged her daughter and gave her the bag of toys.

We carefully walked out of the cave and watched as the door disappeared.

"Do you have to place your blood on the cave door every time you enter or leave?" She asked while we walked towards where we hid the horses.

"Indeed."

After a few trips we had everything we needed in the secret cave. Izzy and I helped the girls dress for bed before doing the same.

"It's cold mommy, can you make a fire?" Adeline said while shivering in my arms.

I lifted my gaze towards the fireplace, then flames emerged. We  made a huge makeshift bed on the floor with pillows and blankets to make it possible to sleep on the hard rocky floor.

One by one we began to fall asleep after a long day of preparations.

"Wake up........Wake up.........Wake up!" I heard a voice say, making me jump to my feet.