⁸. 𝐹𝑖𝑛𝑎𝑙 𝑅𝑒𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑡

───✱*

───✱*.。:。✱*.:。✧*.。✰ ───

TWO S.H.I.E.L.D. agents stood still on the outsides of an abandoned warehouse, keeping guard for any sort of trespassers or unwanted people to come close to the two people who were inside the warehouse.

Tony Stark sat alone in a desk, surrounded by several screens that displayed the insignia of the organization, as well as news reports that covered the events of last week at the Stark Expo.

No one was around him, so his eyes fell on the several folders that were placed on the desk in front of him. The one that caught his eye was the one that had the title 'Avengers Initiative: Preliminary Report' on the cover.

Before he could open it, a hand was placed on top of it to stop him from reading it, and Tony looked up to see Director Nick Fury sitting on the chair opposite of him.

"I don't think I want you looking at that," he said. "I'm not sure it pertains to you anymore."

He grabbed the other folder on the table and raised it for him to see. "Now this, on the other hand, is Vaughn's assessment of you."

He handed it to him. "Read it."

Tony took it in his hands and skimmed through it, his eyes quickly moving up and down as he read what was on the paper. "Uh. . .'Personality overview. Mr. Stark displays compulsive behavior.' In my own defense, that was last week."

Nick Fury didn't seem impressed by what he was saying, he stayed quiet so Tony could continue.

"'Prone to self-destructive tendencies.' I was dying. I mean, please. And aren't we all?" he defended. "'Textbook narcissism'? I thought she and I were finally getting along."

Tony eyed Fury for a second and saw he didn't even smile or have a retort at his comment. Instead, Tony cleared his throat. "Agreed."

"Okay, here it is. Uh. . .'Recruitment assessment for Avenger Initiative. Iron Man? Yes'," Tony lowered the file. "I gotta think about it."

"Read on."

"'Tony Stark not. . .not recommended'?" he frowned. "That doesn't make any sense. How can you approve me but not approve me? I got a new ticker. I'm trying to do right."

Fury stood up from his chair and leaned his weight on the side of the table to get closer to Tony. "Which leads us to believe at this juncture we'd only like to use you as a consultant."

Tony stayed silent and stood up too, forming his lips into a thin line as he extended his hand to Fury for him to take. Fury took it for a handshake and Tony placed his other hand on top of it.

"You can't afford me," he smiled and walked over to the door.

He paused on his way through, whirling on his heel to look at Fury. "Then again I will waive my customary retainer in exchange for a small favor."

Fury tilted his head in question and it encouraged Tony to keep talking.

"Rhodey and I are being honored in Washington and we need a presenter."

"I'll see what I can do."