²⁵. 𝐹𝑖𝑟𝑒 𝐴𝑏𝑜𝑎𝑟𝑑

───✱*

───✱*.。:。✱*.:。✧*.。✰ ───

THE pain in (Y/N)'s body changed from the hardly bearable to an excruciating level in less than five minutes, and her aching throat had enough of her screaming out in discomfort and she had no choice but to save it and stay quiet. Aldrich had left her and Pepper alone in the lower level of the storage room they were on, and (Y/N) flickered her eyes up and down in search for a way out for both of them.

She closed her eyes in concentration, the gears inside her head turning in order to come up with a solution. She'd been in harder situations, much more difficult missions; this had to be a piece of cake. (Y/N) allowed the faint golden glow ignite all over her body, getting used to it before balling her fists and throwing her arms out to break out of the restrains.

The metal keeping her in place dented at her escaping attempt, and she tried the same action once again in search of success. (Y/N) repeated the same process and this time, she was out of the machine and free from what Aldrich was injecting into her skin. The sound alerted him from above, and he removed himself from the spot he was before to stop her.

"Leaving so soon?" he taunted, his entire body glowing orange from the inside.

(Y/N) didn't give him a reply and instead raised her fist to fire a blast at him, hard enough to send him flying back into the wall and leaving him there in the hole unconscious. This bought her enough time to rush towards Pepper's spot and attempt in freeing her from the hot torment that was the EXTREMIS experiment.

Pepper's eyes were closed and her head was leaned forwards, causing her blonde hair to fall in her face. (Y/N) used one hand to rip part of the restrains off while the other grabbed the side of her friend's face.

"Pep," she called in her raspy voice, her desperation dripping through as she glanced back and forth between her and Aldrich. "Come on."

A groan left Pepper's lips as she bobbed her head in trying to regain her senses, blinking a few times in order to see clearly. Her eyes widened at
the sight of (Y/N) standing in front of her, and she tried to ask for an explanation.

"Come on," (Y/N) muttered to her, her eyes widening once she saw how Aldrich was regaining his consciousness. She ripped the other part of the machine with her glowing fist, and grabbed Pepper's hand. "We gotta go."

(Y/N) adjusted Pepper's arm around her shoulders since she was still weak from being trapped for too long, and tried making a run for it as Aldrich kept coming closer. She tried to fire another blast at him, but this time he dodged it just in time and chuckled mockingly at the sight of her.

(Y/N) knew she had to be faster in order to make it to the door without Aldrich getting in the way, since he was lighting up from the inside out and prepared himself to aim directly at her. Her and Pepper were easily three steps away from the door, but before any of them could react, there was an unexpected explosion that shook the entire storage room.