⁶². 𝑀𝑒𝑎𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑜𝑓 𝐹𝑟𝑖𝑒𝑛𝑑𝑠ℎ𝑖𝑝

2018trigger warning: mentions of cancer

2018
trigger warning: mentions of cancer. if you're sensitive to this topic, please read with caution.
───✱*.。:。✱*.:。✧*.。✰ ───

"What do you mean by 'waiting'?"

(Y/N) sighed and closed her eyes, waiting as Pepper's loud exclamation drew a few heads toward their table before elaborating on her last words. Both women were sat on the last table close to the wall in a local cafe, trying not to draw a crowd to themselves. Either way, that cover was blown the second Pepper cried out in shock at her friend's words, almost spilling her cup of tea because of it.

Pepper was one of the most collected people out of everyone else who survived the Snap. (Y/N) admired her hard exterior, and wanted to know the secret to not show weakness or whether how she controlled it. It had taken a few tries to get (Y/N) out of her own shell, but when she succeeded, Pepper convinced her it would be a good idea to have a breath of fresh air while they chatted of topics that didn't revolve around the world's newest catastrophe.

"I thought it was best," was all (Y/N) could say in her defense, glaring daggers at the people who still didn't remove their eyes from their table.

Pepper leaned her elbows on the table before lowering her volume, also realizing the attention they had. "You told Tony to stop all wedding plans because you think it's 'for the best'?"

"Yes," (Y/N) internally winced at the way she phrased it, but it was the truth.

(Y/N) had told Tony to delay the original wedding date they had planned with the excuse that 'she wasn't ready yet', especially after all that's happened. It was half of the truth, but he didn't have to know that yet. She pretended not to notice the way Tony's shoulders sagged when she told him this, but nodded nonetheless to her wishes.

"You can't be serious!" Pepper knocked her back to reality.

"I am!"

"Why?"

"Oh, I don't know, Pep," she scoffed. "Maybe because half of the universe just died?!"

"Other than that," Pepper shrugged off the looks people were giving them. She drank from her tea before continuing her words. "There must be another reason."

(Y/N) stayed silent for a long period of time, not knowing what to respond to the question. Pepper, on the other hand, tapped her nails against the table patiently, as if she had all day for her answer. Her bangs were halfway covering her eyebrows, yet they were visible by the raise of eyebrows she was giving her friend because of the excruciating minutes of silence.