¹⁶. 𝐺𝑟𝑜𝑢𝑝 𝑜𝑓 𝑅𝑒𝑚𝑎𝑟𝑘𝑎𝑏𝑙𝑒 𝑃𝑒𝑜𝑝𝑙𝑒

───✱*

───✱*.。:。✱*.:。✧*.。✰ ───

(Y/N) wasn't completely sure how her feet were able to drag her towards the control room after the news from Fury had her frozen in her spot. In all honesty, she didn't know how to react. She'd known Coulson since she returned to Earth, being the small new guy from the team all those years ago and now. . .he was one of the greatest people (Y/N) ever knew.

She, Tony and Steve were sat in silence around the table of the control room. Fury was standing a few feet away with his hands leaning on the table while Maria decided to stay back from the conversation. After all the ruckus, Natasha had been able to remove Loki's control over Clint and she ordered herself to stay back until he recovered, so she wasn't around.

"These were in Coulson's jacket," Fury broke the silence, his hands toying with a set of collection cards. His eyes set on Steve. "I guess he never did get you to sign them."

He threw them in the table and (Y/N) was able to see the droplets of blood staining some of them, making her wince. The blood stained the table and all Steve did was grab one and eye it for a long period of time.

"We're dead in the air up here," Fury continued. "Our communications, the location of the Cube, Banner, Thor. . .I got nothing for you."

The two men on either sides of (Y/N) were deadly silent, not daring to utter a word. It was weird for her; they'd been at each other's throats ever since they got here, and now Coulson's death was the reason they decided to step their differences aside.

"I lost my one good eye."

Yeah, because of a Flerken, (Y/N) answered in her mind, knowing fully well that this wasn't the time to point that out. She placed her hands on the table and fiddled with the cuffs of her jacket.

"Maybe I had that coming."

You were bothering the cat, (Y/N) continued her replies inside her head.

"Yes, we were going to build an arsenal with the Tesseract," Fury confessed, walking away from his spot to walk around the long table. "I never put all my chips on that number, though, because I was planning something even riskier."

"There was an idea, Vaughn knows this, called the Avengers Initiative. The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, to see if they could become something more. To see if they could work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles that we never could."

(Y/N) concentrated on what he had said, and a thought came into her head. She had stayed back with Fury all this time in case of an emergency, and this was exactly the case. If she and the others couldn't fight Loki off, who else will?