⁵⁰. 𝑀𝑖𝑑𝑛𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑠

📍NEW YORK CITY ───✱*

📍NEW YORK CITY
───✱*.。:。✱*.:。✧*.。✰ ───

An explosion. Two more explosions after that.

People screaming, her friends were screaming.

I need to find Tony, (Y/N) thought desperately. Tony! Where is he?

There he was. He was, sitting between the rubble with his eyes open, yet the light in them was gone. They didn't have a soul behind them. Nothing. People were huddled around him, as if trying to create a barrier around him.

Let me through, (Y/N) yelled out.

But then she saw him and her world crumbled.

No — He had to wake up.

(Y/N)'s eyes opened in a panic, and her entire body jolted awake, trying to pull herself out of the torment she was seeing behind her shut eyelids. She woke up in a cold sweat, her skin clammy and her breath unsteady, as she did her best to adjust her eyes to the pitch darkness of her room.

She let out a quiet whimper and reached out to the right side of the bed, searching for the person she had just seen in her nightmare. Maybe if she heard him speak, it would calm her down. Maybe —

But she felt nothing but empty sheets and blankets on the side of the bed. Her eyes were fully adjusted to the darkness, and her mind wasn't playing tricks with her. The dent of his presence on the bed was still there, but no sign of him.

Where would he be? she asked herself. She pulled her body out of bed and placed on her slippers on, wrapped a robe around her form and walked out of the room in search for him.

The entire facility was silent. (Y/N) didn't have to glance at a clock to know it was late, since the full darkness of the hallways was enough clue. The compound was enormous, and she knew it would probably take her all night to find Tony in the midst of a thousand rooms.

Unexpectedly, a clattering noise came from her right side, and she snapped her head in the direction of the sound. She didn't have to be a genius to know who had caused it.

The noise came from the place where she should've searched first. With quietened steps, (Y/N) walked towards the workshop inside the compound, her eyes having to adjust to the lights' brightness in the room. Even though her eyes were squinted together, she could still recognize Tony's figure a few feet away.

He was wearing a black tank top, the same one he had gone to bed in. There were glasses covering his eyes, probably to protect them from whatever he was working on at this remote hour. He was too focused on his task that he didn't hear the door of the workshop open, and didn't raise his head at the sound of (Y/N)'s steps in.