⁴². 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑆𝑜𝑘𝑜𝑣𝑖𝑎 𝐴𝑐𝑐𝑜𝑟𝑑𝑠

📍AVENGERS COMPOUND ───✱*

📍AVENGERS COMPOUND
───✱*.。:。✱*.:。✧*.。✰ ───

It had been a while since (Y/N) had stepped foot on the Avengers facility in Upstate New York, but it was refreshing to be back. Even if she was here for a serious matter. She'd first heard it on the news before Steve had called her; informing on how people were injured due to an explosion in a building in Nigeria. According to several news reports, they all shifted the blame on Wanda, which (Y/N) thought it was stupid.

Because of this, Tony had brought along a guest to the compound, a guest that went by the name of Secretary of State Thaddeus Ross, to discuss the matter with the Avengers. (Y/N) knew this meant no good, but she just had to wait and see. Besides, from the moment she saw him, (Y/N) knew there was something bothering Tony. He hasn't said anything about it, so she did a mental note to ask him about it later on.

All members of the Avengers living or working on the compound gathered on the conference room to hear what Secretary Ross had to say. Half sitting on the left side of the table and the other half sitting on the right.

"Five years ago. . .I had a heart attack. . .and dropped right in the middle of my backswing," Secretary Ross began his speech. He had his arms up and mimicked a batting position. "Turned out it was the best round of my life because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass. . .I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me. Perspective."

"The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt," he continued. "You have fought for us. . .protected us, risked your lives but while a great many people see you as heroes. . .there are some. . .who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'."

"What word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked him politely from her seat at the table, stuck in between Steve and Rhodey.

"How about 'dangerous'?"

(Y/N) swallowed the lump in her throat by his words, yet her eyes trailed down to Wanda sitting across the table.

"What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals. . .who routinely ignore sovereign borders. . .and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

Secretary Ross stepped aside to allow everyone a view toward the screen. A map of the entire globe firstly appeared before it panned closer to a specific location already marked with a different color. There were approximately four locations pinpointed on the map, but (Y/N) wasn't so sure since she was only able to see that image for a short second. Whatever Secretary Ross was planning on showing them was not meant to cause any good, and she was terrified of that.

"New York," he changed his tone into a much serious one.

Videos that civilians had recorded over the Battle of New York appeared on the screen, the sound of people screaming and running for their lives being the only sound in the room. The videos showed footage of the Hulk jumping from building to building while bringing debris on top of innocent people. There even was footage of (Y/N) trying her best to stop one of the Leviathan creatures from crashing against a building, but her attempts had been useless. (Y/N) felt Rhodey's stare from where she sat, and she didn't dare to look up and meet his eye.