⁵⁴. 𝑂𝑙𝑑 𝐴𝑙𝑙𝑖𝑎𝑛𝑐𝑒𝑠

📍AVENGERS COMPOUND───✱*

📍AVENGERS COMPOUND
───✱*.。:。✱*.:。✧*.。✰ ───

"Still no word from Vision?"

Over at the almost empty Avengers compound, Rhodey stood in the middle of a workshop/conference room, shifting his weight from foot to foot. Secretary Ross's hologram was being projected on an empty space in the room, also showing the image of the rest of the court along with the other men sitting in their chairs.

"Satellites lost him over somewhere over Edinburgh."

"On a stolen Quinjet with four of the world's most wanted criminals."

"You know they're only criminals because you've chosen to call them that, right, sir?"

"My God, Rhodes," Secretary Ross scoffed while organizing a paper file. "Your talent for horseshit rivals my own."

"If it weren't for those Accords, Vision would've been right here."

Secretary Ross stood up from the chair he was sitting in to get a better look at him. "I remember your signature on those papers, Colonel."

"That's right," Rhodey nodded in agreement, but then looked down at the prosthetic that was made for him."And I'm pretty sure I paid for that."

"You have second thoughts?"

"Not anymore."

A faint beeping noise was heard from the distance alerting the man from a sudden movement in the facility. This startled him and made Rhodey turn his head to the side just in time to hear footsteps approaching. Into the conference room walked in the 'four most wanted criminals' that Ross had referenced before, including Steve, Natasha, Sam, Wanda, and a limping Vision.

"Mr. Secretary," Steve was the first to speak, breaking the silence and stopping before taking a step inside the room.

"You got some nerve," Secretary Ross turned his head to him. "I'll give you that."

Natasha gave him a cold look of her own. "You could use some of that right now."

"The world's on fire. And you think all is forgiven?"

"I'm not looking for forgiveness," Steve shook his head, eyes not removing their gaze from the secretary. "And I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight."

Steve took a step forward, an inch closer to the hologram of Secretary Ross as a way to challenge him. The rest of the group stood behind him, all in silence and hoping they did the right thing by coming back to their home.