⁶⁹. 𝐵𝑖𝑔𝑔𝑒𝑟 𝑇ℎ𝑎𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑊ℎ𝑜𝑙𝑒 𝑆𝑘𝑦

2020

───✱*

───✱*.。:。✱*.:。✧*.。✰ ───

(Y/N) didn't know what she did to get to this point of her life, but she wouldn't change it for the world. Morgan kept growing every single day into an energetic and curious girl, who wanted nothing more than to play with her parents and. run across the large fields surrounding their home. Tony and (Y/N) noticed that they were doing a perfect job at raising her, and hoped to keep this lucky streak as she got older.

But of course, to balance the beautiful things in one's life, there has to be a tragedy.

It was like any other day in the Stark residence, laughter could be echoed throughout the walls and there were piles of toys scattered all over the floor. After (Y/N) caught a glimpse of Morgan painting her father's face with her makeup kit and took several pictures of it, she instructed both of them to clean up the mess they'd made in the process while she went to grab a drink from the kitchen.

The house phone rang loudly from its place plastered on the wall, and (Y/N) rushed to answer it since she was the closest to it. It only rang two more times before she grabbed it and hovered it near her ear, muttering a short greeting and waited for the person to reply.

"Is (Y/N) Vaughn there?"

"This is her speaking."

"I'm Doctor Highland, we've met."

At the sound of that name, (Y/N)'s whole body physically tensed. She didn't notice that she had let the line fall into complete silence until the doctor called out for her, and she had to contain the nervous crack from showing on the other line. At this point, Tony and Morgan finished cleaning the toys up and Tony played close attention to the micro expressions in (Y/N)'s face.

"Yes, Dr. Highland," (Y/N) exhaled a breath and placed a hand on her hip. "Is something wrong? The checkups were over for a while, so should we schedule another one?"

There was a moment of silence on the other line. A deflated sigh left Doctor Highland's lips that was audible to (Y/N), and a knot formed on her stomach because of that.

"I'm sorry to do this over the phone, but. . ." another pause over the phone. She didn't like this at all. "Maria Rambeau passed away this morning."

(Y/N) nearly dropped the phone from her hand. Her jaw dropped open, but no sound came out. It was as if she was completely frozen in shock and did not register what she just heard. She didn't know where she got the strength to place the phone closer to her and still mutter another sentence.