⁵⁵. 𝐴 𝑆𝑖𝑚𝑝𝑙𝑒 𝑃𝑙𝑎𝑛

───✱*

───✱*.。:。✱*.:。✧*.。✰ ───

Silence was all that could be heard inside the large Quinjet, where the group was heading toward the hidden country of Wakanda. Some were sat on the back, others were supervising Sam in the cockpit, and (Y/N) was standing on her two feet with her back against the wall. To anyone else watching, it looked like she was just a reserved person that didn't like to socialize, but to this specific group of people, it was different.

Steve made a mental note to check up on her, but first he moved toward Sam sat at the controls. "Drop at 2600, heading 0-3-0."

"I hope you're right about this. Or we're gonna land a lot faster than you want to."

The protective barrier all over Wakanda opened up a small space, large enough to let the Quinjet fly through without problems. It swerved in the air as it flew up close to the capital, where dozens of modern buildings were lined up in a specific way. Meanwhile, Steve took a step back and moved to (Y/N)'s general direction. She, due to the lack of noise, heard his footsteps approach and lifted her head to stare at him.

"You okay?" was the first thing he asked, no matter how ridiculous he sounded.

(Y/N) flashed a sarcastic smile. "Totally."

"Sorry — I," Steve stammered and even though he had been on the run for almost three years, he didn't lose that sense of awkwardness. "That was a stupid question."

"Try again, then," she challenged.

"Why didn't you go after him?" Steve decided to just — go for it — as people now said, but he winced at how insensitive that must've sounded. "I thought you had. We all did."

"He told me that I should call you," (Y/N) pressed her lips on a thin line, eyes set on her boots. "Tell you what was going on. And he was right."

She realized her last words and she immediately thought of what his reaction could've been like. She hasn't realized how much he plagued her mind until now. "Just don't tell him I said that."

Steve saw the way (Y/N) kept staring at the ring on her finger, glimmering through the ray of sunlight that entered through the window. He could see all of her worry lines shape her face, and he didn't have to be a genius to guess what she was thinking of.

"Listen, we'll solve this and we'll get Tony back," he reassured. "I promise."

"I hope you're right."

There was a short period of silence between the two, as if neither of them was completely sure that this plan was going to work. It had to, she reminded herself. Because the other and last option was blasting the Mind Stone off Vision's head, and that was the last thing she wanted to do. That obnoxious, nerve wracking feeling in her stomach kept reminding her of that scary thought of never seeing Tony again, and she couldn't figure how what to react to it because she didn't even phantom the idea of never seeing him again.