¹⁴. 𝑇𝑒𝑎𝑚𝑎𝑡𝑒 𝐷𝑖𝑠𝑎𝑔𝑟𝑒𝑒𝑚𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑠

───✱*

───✱*.。:。✱*.:。✧*.。✰ ───

TIME passed on by either slowly or rapidly when you have nothing to do, and that was certainly the case for (Y/N). After the small talk, everyone went their separate ways — even though they were all still on the flying helicarrier — and (Y/N) stayed behind in the control room trying to find a way to distract herself.

She could see from the corner of her eye how Maria's eyebrows furrowed in an expression of confusion after one employee called on her to check something in his screens. From where (Y/N) was standing, she could read the alert from the monitor that said 'Virus Detected'. This caught Fury's attention too, and he looked down from the higher point in the control room.

"Vaughn," Fury caught her attention by calling her last name, and she snapped her head in his direction. He seemed to gesture her over. "Come with me."

If the look in Fury's eyes weren't serious, she would've said something about how she noticed the pattern of her trailing behind him like a stray puppy, and she found it amusing. Back when they had first met, it was the other way around.

She and Fury entered the lab where Tony and Bruce were working in, a white colored room with different gadgets and tables for them to work on. The sunlight came through by the four identical windows behind the two men, and (Y/N) could immediately tell whatever her and Fury were doing in there wasn't good at all.

"What are you doing, Mr. Stark?"

Tony sat in the table with one leg crossed over. "Uh, kind of been wondering the same thing about you."

"You're supposed to be locating the Tesseract."

"We are," Bruce stepped up in a calm voice. "The model's locked and we're sweeping for the signature now. When we get a hit, we'll have the location within half a mile."

(Y/N) saw the screen that Bruce gestured behind her shoulder and it had the image of a globe, indicating that it was searching all over it for any sort of gamma signature location.

"Yeah, then you get your Cube back. No muss, no fuss," Tony said before his eyes fell on the screen in front of him and he perked up in interest just like a little kid. "What is 'Phase 2'?"

A thud rang through (Y/N)'s ears, and she whirled on her heel to see how Steve dropped a weapon into the table with a loud clatter.

"Phase 2 is S.H.I.E.L.D. uses the Cube to make weapons," Steve explained in an angry tone and his face stoic. "Sorry, computer was moving a little slow for me."