Chapter 46- *Mai* Jounin Days and the Kyuubi's attack (Part 2)

I do now own Naruto.

I sat up on a rock, over looking my team as they slept. My expression was hard as I tired to keep calm while on the battlefield. The crickets chirping helped keep me calm as I kept guard.

"Mai sensei." I looked over to see Obito walking over to me, having had a hard time sleep.

I offered a small smile, "Hey, Obi-kun. What's wrong?"

Obito sat beside me, his goggles off and headband not on him. He looked to the ground, "I know that teamwork is an important thing, but Kakashi's always calling me a lazy idiot. Even though I'm called an elite for being born into the Uchiha clan, I'm a loser. I acknowledge that Kakashi's an amazing person, but..." Obito trailed off.

I placed my hand on Obito's head affectinally, my eyes still fixed on our surroundings. "Kaka-kun is the son of the genius Sakumo Hatake, who was also known and feared as the Konoha White Fang. In front of Kaka-kun's father's name, even the title of 'Legendary Sanin' pales in comparison. I thing that because he spent his childhood with such a genius that he considers you unsatisfactory. Obi-kun, don't take Kakashi's rudeness to heart, sometimes you have to look at the while picture to know why one acts like that. I'm sure he dosen't mean it in a way to be rude, but possibly in a way to make you push yourself to work harder."

Obito looked at me. "The White Fang? Come to think of it, I've heard of him before. He was a hero who died protecting the village. Kakashi never brought him up before."

My eyes saddened a bit. "He was a great man who was respected by everyone in the village, especially Kakashi. Until..." I trailed off before speaking again. "Obito, I normally wouldn't talk about this so freely, but since you're on the same team as Kakashi, I want you to know. Kakashi's father had been disgraced before he committed suicide." I paused to look at Obito.

Obito's eyes widened as he looked at me. "His father..."

I looked back to our surroundings, my hand still on top of Obito's head. "Five years ago, he was the captain of a top secret mission to infiltrate an enemy territory,and he had to choose between two options.  The success of the mission of the life of his comrades. If he followed the rules of the village, he couldn't abort the mission, but to save the lives of his comrades, he abandons the mission. But, because of that, the Fire Country suffered great losses, and his comrades in the village blames him. In the end, even the comrades he saved hated him. Due to that, his mind and body became weak, and Sakumo took his own life."

"From that point on, Kakashi never opened his mouth about his father, and that is why he is so insistent on following the rules. Obito, I know it is hard, but I want to to just try to understand him. Don't hate Kakashi for how he acts." I finished.

Obito looked from the ground then to me. "Is that why..." His voice was low. "Is that why you're so protective over Kakashi and I? Because he lost his parents and because I've never known mine?"

I blinked at Obito before giving off a soft smile. "I guess you can say that. Even if you and Kakashi don't realize it, I think of you two like my children almost. I know you must think I'm stupid for saying that, and you probably don't think of me as anything other than your teacher, as does Kakashi-"

I was cut off by Obito suddenly hugging me. A small laugh escaped me as I patted his head, "I guess maybe you do consider me as a mother, hmm?"

"Yeah..." He muttered.