58. Lies||Fluff

Newt laid restlessly in his hammock.

"I don't need her," he whispered to himself.

Images of you flashed through his mind and he shook his head.

"I've moved on and I don't even love her anymore."

But of course, Newt knew he was lying to himself. He tossed and turned all night, trying to push away the thoughts of you. But it didn't work. It never had.

In the morning, Newt tried to pay no attention to you. He avoided you whenever he could and didn't look at your direction. He caught himself multiple times turning to tell you something funny or to ask you something about the plants you were both working on. He just couldn't do this could he?

It was just another day like the last. He missed you all day and then at night he'd lie to himself and say he didn't. But he needed those lies. They were keeping him alive in a sort of way. Keeping him sane.

This went on for weeks. He didn't know how many, the days all blended together. But eventually, he'd had enough.

"Y/N?" he asks loudly as he walks up behind you.  You stand up from your crouched position in the Gardens and turn to look at him.

"Newt?"

As soon as he reaches you, his eyes soften and he stares into yours longingly.

"I need to talk to you."

Your heart jumps a beat and you let your arms hang loosely crossed.

"Okay," you say curiously.

He scratches the back of his head and he looks at the ground for a moment before his eyes flicker back to yours.

"I don't know if I can do this without you, Y/N. I'm about to lose it. I miss you and I need you."

You bite your lip and a small smile somehow makes its home on your lips. You nod and step closer.

"I've been thinking the same things, Newt."

You lean up on your tiptoes and gently press your mouth to his, finally feeling complete.

Cr: Tumblr