175. Loss

I found myself dreaming, in silver and gold

Like a scene from a movie, that every broken heart knows

Thomas' fingers skimmed the names etched upon the maze wall, brushing a light layer of dust off. There were many names he recognized; Newt, Alby, Jeff, Minho, Gally. The sight of Ben's crossed out name made him feel a twinge of guilt, so he averted his eyes away to another name. 

We were walking on moonlight, and you pulled me close.
Split second and you disappeared and I was all alone.

This one had marginally neater writing than the others, and had an almost impossible to see thin line running through the middle of it that halted halfway through, so it seemed as if someone had meant to cross out the name, but had stopped during the middle of it. All of this was pretty strange, until Thomas actually read the name.

Y/n.

Thomas frowned. As far as he knew, Y/n was a girls name. And he was pretty sure that there were no girls living in the maze currently. Unless one of the guys were cross-dressing, but that was unlikely since all of the boys in the glade had deep voices, broad shoulders, flat chests and body odour. While putting that disturbing thought away, curiosity streaked through his brain like a gazelle, so he made a mental note to ask one of the gladers who this Y/n was.

I woke up in tears, with you by my side.
A breath of relief and I realized,

Dinner soon came by, and Thomas was determined to find answers. He collected his bowl of food and sat down on a table with Minho and Chuck. The two boys were both slurping down their stew noisily. Nope, no chance of them being girls there. He slurped a few spoonfuls of Frypan's mystery stew down, before setting down his spoon and grabbing the attention of his two friends.

We're not promised tomorrow.

"Hey, Minho, Chuck," he said, drumming his fingers on the table in anticipation. "Can I ask you both a question?"

"Shoot, Greenie," Minho grinned, preparing himself for a dumb or incredibly hard question.

"Who's Y/n?"

Silence.

Chuck's eyes widened to the size of saucers, while Minho slapped his hand across Thomas' mouth, a panicked look spreading across his face. As Thomas attempted to wrestle the sweaty palm from his mouth, the Keeper of the Runners looked around wildly, before letting out a sigh of relief.

"Shut it, Shank," Minho hissed. "D'you want us to all get killed by Newt?"

So I'm gonna love you, 
Like I'm gonna lose you,

Chuck's face showed pure shock and terror, as if horrible, traumatizing memories were flooding into his mind. The poor boy sat there rigid, mouth opening and closing like a goldfish.