135. Stay Close || Part II || Newt

Summary: VERY SHORT rewritten version of the Scorch Trials, with the reader snuck in the plot

“I don’t know, man, I don’t trust him,” Minho whispered, and Thomas and Newt nodded in agreement.

It had all been a blur, first losing almost all your friends in the Maze, then being put in this peculiar place where they fed you well and gave you a place to rest. They all seemed to be led by a man by the name of Janson, who was rendered suspicious by your friends.

They all sat on the edge of their beds, formulating a plan while you were forced to lie down by Newt and get some rest. However, all you could do was stare at the top bunk, listening to their hushed words, embracing Newt whose back was to you as he talked to the others.

Newt’s hands toyed with your arm as he shifted in his seat. “Tommy, we don’t even know what’s out there. We’re treated well here, we’re safe.” His voice softened. “I can’t make Y/N suffer anymore, Tommy.”

“Newt, bud, if Thomas really saw what he said he saw, Y/N’s going to suffer more here than she will anywhere else,” Minho said, jumping down from his top bed. “I care about her too, shank. But Thomas is right. We need to leave. I don’t want us to risk losing anyone else.”

Newt exhaled in frustration. “Fine.” He said, his voice trembling. “What’s your plan?” You took this as an opportunity to sit up and rub Newt’s back comfortingly.

“Aris knows this place from the cafeteria to the exit. I say  we take that route and let Aris take the lead.”

“Let a complete stranger take the lead? Then what, Tommy?” you continued comforting him, attempting to shush Newt silently.

“Newt, we haven’t known what’s going on for as long as we can remember. We have to just work with what we have.” Frypan reasoned.

“Yeah, that’s what we’ve been bloody doing for four buggin’ years! And I’m shuck tired of it!” Newt exclaimed in exasperation. Then he stayed silent. “Sorry. Get on with your bloody plan, none of us know klunk anyways.” He began to lie back on the bed, looking up, avoiding your gaze. You didn’t speak until everyone was settled in bed, and that didn’t happen until after Thomas set his idea clearly.

“Newt, baby, calm down, okay?” you whispered, stroking his cheek.

His eyebrows scrunched. “I can’t risk your life again. Not after Chuck and Alby…” he trailed off.

“Thomas doesn’t know what’s happening either, Newt. He needs your support as much as I need it.” You joined him now, pressing your cheek against the blade of his shoulder.

Newt hummed. “But Tommy and I… we don’t share the same priority.” he snaked his muscular arms around you. “His priority is to make sure everyone stays alive… mine is to make sure nothing ever touches you except me.”

“We’re gonna find a way out of this mess, Newt… just stay alive.”

“I love you.” He turned to face you. These nights outside the Maze, he always had nightmares about basically everything unless he holds you. So you smiled as he squeezed you against him and pressed his lips to your forehead.

“I love you, too.” You placed your hand on his back.

After what felt like an eternity, Newt had pleasant dreams that night.

-

“Hey, lover boy, rise and shine,” Minho called, shaking him abruptly, then he whispered to him. “Act natural. We’ll get the hell out of here and make a run for it when we go for breakfast. Pack some water and whatever. Make sure it’s light.”

And those were the last, sane words you heard for a very, very long time.

Apparently, the outside world was a deserted wasteland. After a wild two days, you found the Right Arm – where the girls who supposedly stayed in Aris’s Maze got settled in. You smiled to yourself. You and Newt could build a new life here.

After three days, you got quite comfortable with this place you’re learning to identify as your home. You began socializing with the other girls, who were very lovely. But just a day in, it hit you like a ton of bricks.

These girls are really pretty, you think, turning to Sonya, who was chatting with Newt and Minho. And she’s giving Newt the heart eyes.

It was true. The girl was being a little too touchy, and of course, Minho noticed. You caught him subtly pushing Newt gently away from Sonya, which was quite touching, really, because you caught Minho stealing a glance at you and winking.

However, Newt was oblivious as can be. He still had his warm exterior and he laughed politely at all of her jokes. You shrugged it off, though, but the burn of insecurity in your chest couldn’t be ignored. You took this opportunity to sneak to one of the tents that had an old mirror. You stared.

There was no way you could compare to Sonya or any other girl here.

“Y/N?” Newt slipped in the tent, looking at you in confusion. “…what are you doing?”

You shook your head, not looking at him. You felt his calloused hands on your stomach and his lips on your neck.

“This is the first time I saw the two of us like this…” Newt muttered against your lips. “Beautiful.”

Without even thinking about it, you scoffed.

Newt paused. “So, Min was right. You are upset.”

You made what sounded like a whining sound. “I swear, Minho’s gonna pay-“

“I’m sorry, love. Please do tell me what I did.”

You looked at your feet, but you could still feel Newt’s eyes on you.

“It’s Sonya, isn’t it?”

“Newt, everyone here has been talking about ‘the Brit with the limp’...I just don’t want to lose you to them.”

“That’s just the biggest piece of klunk I have ever heard.” Newt sat down on the nearest chair and gestured to his lap, telling you to sit.

You took your place on his lap and you trembled as he breathed on your neck and snaked his arms around your waist. “I have nothing to say about it, love. Just that I’m bloody sorry for making you feel that way. I should have made it clear that I can’t have eyes for someone who isn’t you. I can’t.

He looked at you with passionate eyes before continuing. “I’m gonna build us a life, love, I promise you. You can give me as many buggin’ children you want and I’ll take care of you no matter what.”

And that is how you knew for sure that Newt would risk anything for you.