162. It's a Buggin' Girl- Part 8

“Hey, wake up.” 

Your eyes fluttered open at the sound of a voice, and for a second you forgot where you were. Jumping onto your feet, you took in your surroundings.  

The Glade. You were in the Glade. And the boy hovering above you was Newt. You locked eyes with him, and everything came flooding back, “Oh my god, this wasn’t a dream. I can’t believe this whole thing wasn’t some stupid dream.” 

“Unfortunately not,” A voice cut in, and you turned, “Alby.” 

“Morning, Greenie.” He folded his arms, “And welcome to the Glade.” 

When you stayed silent, he continued, “You have to understand all of this is new: a girl with a WCKD tattoo is pretty much uncharted territory. But this wasn’t your choice, just as it wasn’t any of ours. So, I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt. I’m giving you my trust.” 

You relaxed your shoulders, “Okay.” 

In the following weeks, you kept your head down and tried to adjust to your new life. Given the circumstances, you were actually settling in quite well. 

Working as a Medjack with a boy named Clint, you found you were strangely good at healing people. Everyday someone needed to be patched up, and you were more than happy to oblige. Disinfecting cuts or setting broken bones was like second nature, and you didn’t know why.  

Other than Newt, you were becoming fast friends with most of the Gladers. Thomas and Chuck had quickly become people you could depend on. And after countless scrapes and bruises landing him in the medical tent, Minho became your best friend. 

Newt was another story. 

After your near kiss about a week ago, you were avoiding him. He’d make a joke out of it, flirting and laughing, but you were hellbent on keeping him at bay. Even though you wanted to, you wouldn’t let yourself fall for him. 

So when he chased, you just ran. 

But when he came into the med tent, with a huge gash on his forehead, you couldn’t quite run from him then. 

“Holy shit, Newt, what happened?!” You rushed over a bit too quickly, and put a hand to the cut. 

Wincing, he sucked in a breath, “I’m a bloody idiot who trips and falls over with shears in his hands.” 

“Okay, uh,” You eyed the mark, it really was bleeding, “Just sit down, I have to put something on that.” He plopped onto the makeshift bed, and you were reminded of your first day in the Glade. 

You’d been so scared, even if you hadn’t shown it, but he hadn’t been hostile like the rest of them. Instead he’d chosen to trust you, to stick up for you, and you had no idea why. 

“So, how are you liking your job assignment?” His accent snapped you back to reality, and you quickly turned away. Giving him a flat, “It’s fine,” you went to the cupboard to look for a bandage. 

Once you’d retrieved one, you sat down on the bed next to him, “Tell me if you feel faint.” 

“So you’re still avoiding me, love.” Newt shrugged, and your eyes went wide. He just chuckled at your reaction, “Why?”  

“I, I’m not avoiding you.” 

“That’s klunk and you know it.” His tongue flicked over his lip, “It’s because I tried to kiss you, isn’t it?” 

Oh my god, the statement hit you like a truck. There it was, right out there in the open, “It’s,” You laughed nervously, “Newt, it’s not that-” 

It’s because I feel like I know you from before, and it terrifies me. 

“-It’s nothing, it’s, it’s not important.” 

It’s because I’m scared of who I was before- the girl with the WCKD tattoo. And I’m scared you’ll see right through me. 

That’s fine, love.” He smiled, “You run, I don’t mind chasing.”  

Before you could respond, Minho burst into the tent, “Hey, Shanks!” 

“Please tell me I don’t have to patch you up again, Min.” You rolled your eyes and continued to put pressure on Newt’s forehead, “I swear one of these days you’re just going to break.” 

“Not me,” He grinned and popped the apple you’d been saving for lunch into his mouth, “Just stopping by.” 

“To eat my apple and wreck my tent?” You faked a glare, and Newt added on, “Yeah, mate, get out I’m the one who really needs her attention here.” 

You went rigid- the phrase was definitely ambiguous. On one hand, he needed you to patch him up, and on the other……there was that “chase” he kept talking about. 

“No you don’t,” You removed the bandage from his head, “The cut isn’t too deep so you don’t need stitches. Both of you out, I gotta clean up.” 

“Alright, mom, but I’m keeping this.” Minho chuckled and took yet another bite of your apple, and Newt followed close behind as he left the tent. 

Seconds later, you heard Minho practically choking with laughter, “Dude! You totally choked in there!” 

Bloody hell, Minho! Shuck off,” You heard Newt growl back, and you couldn’t help but smile.