174. We Could Sail The Seven Seas

Author's Note: Newt is a sailor/pirate and the reader is a mermaid!! I change a lot of stuff from the books, obviously!!  ((:  This is kinda like a Little Mermaid AU, but not really?? I combine lots of stuff about mermaids from lots of different things and I just made some stuff up ahhhhhh. This is kinda like a Disney movie?? Like the ending is cheesy as hell but I love it  (((:

"Any sign of land yet, Tommy?" Newt asked, climbing out of his cabin and resting his palm on Thomas's shoulder. 

"Not yet," Thomas responded and pulled his telescope away from his eye. 

"What about Galileo and his crew?" Newt's eyes surveyed his own crew, and a small smile crossed his face. Minho was being taught how to tie a properbutterfly knot by an insistent Chuck, Frypan was making Winston taste something he had cooked up in the kitchen, and Zart and Clint were arguing about something while they were swabbing the deck. 

"No sign of those shanks yet, either." Thomas said, which made Newt chuckle. None of his crew members were fond of Gally for multiple reasons, one of them being that Galileo's crew were notorious mermaid hunters. 

A year or so back, they were all one big crew, but then Thomas joined, and Gally got extremely paranoid about everything. He insisted that Thomas was bad, and that he was going to hurt the group. Newt waved them away, but Gally's fears didn't stop. Secretly, Newt thought that Gally was losing his mind, a year was a long time to be at sea, but he didn't voice those concerns. 

Shortly after that, Alby fell into the sea during a thunder storm and, unfortunately, his body was never found. Gally insisted that mermaids had taken him and demanded that they search for the mermaids responsible. Newt had disagreed, Alby would want them to keep searching for an island to make their home, which caused a huge fight between Newt and Gally. 

Some of the crew sided with Newt, and some of them sided with Gally, so they had split. Gally's group had been dropped off at a nearby harbor with just enough gold to buy themselves food and a new boat, and Newt's group had continued on their way. 

Mermaids were beautiful creatures, at least, according to legend. Newt had never seen a mermaid before, but stories all told that they were hybrids. Half human from the waist up, and half fish from the hips down. 

Gally's crew were fond of searching for the elusive beings, and whenever they found them, they would, supposedly, keep them in special tubs on their ship. No one knew why, but Newt's crew definitely did not approve of their actions. Just because Gally thought mermaids were responsible for Alby's death, he had no right to kidnap the things.

The stories all said that mermaids were kind, gentle souls who mostly kept to themselves. They were vegetarians, typically eating seaweed and other underwater plants, and with a single song, they could tame even the most dangerous of ocean creatures (some mermaids had supposedly been spotted swimming, and even playing, with sharks).

"Good that." Newt said and removed his hand from Thomas's shoulder, moving about the ship and checking on the rest of his crew, completely unaware of the pair of sparkling __e/c__ eyes that were watching him curiously from the side of the boat.

-------------------------------------

"You've gotta stop going up there." Brenda huffed, brushing your hair with more force than necessary and making you wince in pain. 

"I'm sorry," You said sincerely, pausing momentarily as Brenda dragged the seashell comb through your hair again. "But they're just...they're so different from us! They have legs! Can you imagine what it's like to walk? Or dance? Or run?"

"No, I can't." Brenda said, waggling her tail. Brenda's tail was long, strong, and dark, with stunning flecks of white and silver that almost seemed to glow.