171. Newt? Newt.

You tried blinking your eyes to adapt to the sudden light. The ringing in your ears still hadn't fade, and it only got worse with people crowding and talking. You couldn't seem to remember what happened and where had you heard those voices. You were sure that you heard same people talking amongst each other like that before.

"Where am I?" You muttered to yourself.

Suddenly, a boy jumped down to that rectangular metal place you sat on. You felt movements on your shoulder, hidden by your hair. Oddly enough, you weren't shocked. You weren't shocked about not remembering anything and being in a weird place. You weren't shocked about that move on your shoulder. In fact, if there was anything you remembered, it was that something you had. That thing that was moving uncomfortably behind your hair.

"Hey there, you okay?" The boy asked gently.

"I'm fine, I guess. Who are you? Where am I?" You asked.

"Let's get out of this box first, okay?"

You nodded and he helped you climb out. Once your feet were on the grass, you looked around and noticed that you had gigantic walls surrounding you. Still oddly enough, you weren't fazed or scared. Why was it? You should have, since you were at an unfamiliar place with no memory, except for something irrelevant. The movements on your shoulder ceased and replaced by erratic breathing. Blankly, you put one hand on that part and rubbed it as the breathing slowed. "Take it easy, we're going to be fine." You whispered.

"So? Where am I?" You asked again.

The boy who got you out smiled. "This is what we call the Glade. We're Gladers, as you will be. Also as you can see, you're the only girl here, but don't worry, you'll be just fine." He said. "Do you remember your name?"

"Yeah, it's (y/n). What about you?"

"My name's Newt."

Hiss.

You frowned as your rubbing continued. "Why your name-"

"AHH!!"

Your question was cut short when the thing on your shoulder jumped and attacked Newt. "NEWT!"

"NEWT!"

All Gladers and you shouted at the same time. But you weren't shouting for human Newt, you were shouting for salamander Newt.

Oh yes, that thing on your shoulder was a newt. A bright orange salamander that you made pet a few months back, and you named Newt just like its biological name. Salamander-Newt had gotten attached to you after first few weeks being with you and it was very protective. If it saw something or someone 'threatening' you, it would jump and attacked said threat.

Although, why would salamander-Newt see human-Newt as a threat?

After a few pulling and scream, you managed to pull your Newt away from human-Newt. "What the bloody hell is that?!" Human-Newt yelled.

"(Y/n)! Drop that dangerous thing!" A black skinned guy shouted.

"Kill that thing already!"

"No! He doesn't mean any harm!" You protested as you pulled your Newt closer to your chest. Salamander-Newt nuzzled comfortably to you, seeming proud that it had 'protected' you from 'threat'.

"What is that anyway?!"

You scoffed. "What? You've never seen a newt before?"

"N-Newt?"

"This is my pet! I've had him for months! He's a Salamander, a newt to be exact! I didn't want to find hard names so I just call him by his type, and that is Newt! That's why I was confused when you say your name is Newt! What are you, a Salamander?!"

Many Gladers made sure they never got too close to your Newt. You got along with everyone, but no one dared mention or even look at your Newt. You didn't know if they were disgusted or scared, but it sure bothered you some times. You didn't want to be their enemy, but if they avoided your Newt, it might be hard to raise Newt here. Your Newt liked meeting new friends as long as they weren't dangerous, after all.

"Hey, Newt, what do you want to eat today?" You asked with a smile.

"Are you talking to me or to your pet?"

"Oh, Newt!" You turned around in surprise. Even after 2 months being in the Glade, your Newt and human-Newt couldn't get along with each other. Geez, they were both Newt, why couldn't they just be friends?

Your Newt hissed when it saw human-Newt, and human-Newt flinched. He still hadn't got over the fact that someone as gentle as you had a vicious pet named just like him. "What was on your mind when you picked… Uh, Newt… to be your pet?" He asked uncomfortably.

"Well… I have a thing for lizards and such, I guess. Although there's another reason that I don't remember. When I got here for the first time, Newt calmed me by being with me so I didn't really got overwhelmed with all these situations, and I'm really thankful that whoever put us here let me keep my Newt with me."

Newt coughed awkwardly as he looked away with red face. You may not realize it, but the way you say my Newt made him giddy and happy. Yes, he knew you meant your beloved pet, but since their names were the same it felt like you were actually calling human-Newt as yours.

Did he have a crush on you?

Of course he did! You were the only girl after all! All boys liked you, that was why they tolerate your salamander-Newt. And only human-Newt got the privilege of being (feeling) called (Y/n)'s Newt, and it made him happy.

Maybe he should thank that over-protective orange lizard thing of yours.

Hiss!

…Then again, he shouldn't.