60. Rainy days (Newt)||Fluff

You woke up, hearing a familiar pattering on the Homesteads roof. You stretched your sore muscles and threw yourself out of bed, standing to peer out the window on the opposing wall. Sure enough, it was raining.

A smile spread across your face and you stared up at the dark, swelling clouds above. Rain was your favorite.  You scanned the rest of the Glade, seeing some of the boys still attempting to work through the weather but failing. Some slipped or got stuck in the mud, sometimes losing their shoe in the process.

You look down to the Deadheads where some boys were huddled under the tall trees. Newt spotted you and waved, making another wide smile appear on your lips. He gestured for you to come down and you nodded, tearing yourself away from the window.

After you throw on a fresh shirt and a thin jacket. It was the only one you had and it didn't do much. Usually the rain would just soak through the fabric in a couple minutes and you'd still be soaked.

You exit the Homestead and pull the hood over your head, blocking the wind and rain from messing with your hair. You meet Newt, Alby, and Minho under the Deadhead trees watching the rain

"Morning, love," Newt says with a smile.

"Good morning," you say back and smile to Minho and Alby.

They watch you closely, smirking to one another at your obvious like for Newt and his apparent reciprocated feelings.

The rain was dripping through the treetops and soon enough, the jacket you had on was useless. You frown down at the fabric and think for a moment.

"Why not," you mutter and Newt looks to you in confusion.

You strip off the jacket and hang it over a tree branch. An excited feeling comes over you as you notice the cool wind on your bare arms. Being left in just your T shirt, you felt a sort of freedom.

You slipped your hand into Newts and he tensed up, shocked that you would grab his hand. You didn't notice though, and started tugging him out from the covers of the trees. 

"What are you doing?" he calls over the rain, letting you pull him along. 

"Having some fun around here!" you reply equally as loud.  Once you're both in the center of the Glade, you stop pulling Newt and let his hand fall back to his side. You missed the warmth it gave off, but you figured it would be a little odd for you to holding hands with your best friend. 

"Do you like the rain, Newt?" you ask and turn your gaze up to the grey sky. The light raindrops painted your skin and you loved every second of it.

"It is quite beautiful," Newt said, mostly to himself. He stared at you with a admiring smile on his face. There was just something special about you. Newt wasn't sure what yet, but he knew you were different.

After the rain had stopped, it was nearly time for dinner. The whole Glade smelled fresh and new, and you could feel the moisture in the air. Or maybe it was your hair that was still soaked. Either way.

You sat and ate dinner with your best friend as you always did.

Newt continued to steal grapes from you until you noticed and caught him in the process of yanking one off the vine. You slapped his hand and he stuck his tongue out at you teasingly. The rest of the Gladers at the table gave each other a knowing look. Chuck sat, oblivious.  Usually you would have a bonfire that night, since a new Greenie had come up, but because of the rain nothing was able to be lit on fire. So Minho just showed the Greenie around until it got dark. You hadn't seen him yet, because you were busy when he'd come up but it wasn't like he was going anywhere.  When the sun had finally set, Minho had finally stopped giving him a tour and started introducing him to people. Apparently the boys name was Thomas, and Minho was walking towards you next to him.