98. So Bloody Much||Fluff

Fuck. If you were to describe the situation you were in with one word, that would be it. You were absolutely screwed. It all started when you got a late start that morning. You were up late the night before and had a hard time getting up in the morning. Then again in the maze, you had a late lunch and now the doors were almost closing. You knew you only had four or five corners more to turn until you reached the doors. The sun was almost setting, there was no escaping the fact that you were running out of time.

  First corner, you kept a steady pace, running as strong as you could manage, though you felt yourself running low on energy. You wiped a few beads of sweat off of your forehead and inhaled deeply.

  Second corner, you could hear the low rumbling of the doors beginning to close. You knew this was a life or death situation, so you kept on running, almost pushing yourself to your limits.

  The third corner was a lot farther off, and you knew you were running out of breath. Your heart was beating fast and your breathing was heavy. That’s when you heard the low rumble of the doors beginning to close. You tried to pick up the pace but your body couldn’t handle it all. It felt like you were going to explode any second now out of exhaustion.

  By the time you reached the fourth corner you were almost completely out of breath and energy. You were having trouble dragging yourself along, your throat was dry and you were breathing heavier than ever.

  You saw the other Gladers standing anxiously by the doors, cheering and urging you on; Chuck, Minho, Frypan, even Gally was there shouting for you. Then there was Newt. In those moments he was all you could think about. You couldn’t imagine being stuck in the Maze, being kept away from Newt. You loved him, but he probably didn’t feel the same way about you. He wasn’t shouting or encouraging you, just standing there, with his arms crossed.

  You almost tripped over your feet, struggling to go any further. The doors were a little more than half closed, and you were still several yards away. You kept going, trying your hardest to run faster. Newt’s grip on his arm grew stronger, and he was biting his lip. His eyebrows were knit together and his eyes were locked on you.

  The doors were coming close to closing. They were almost there. Twelve seconds until they shut and you’d be stuck in the Maze overnight. You kept on moving, dragging one foot in front of the other. Nine seconds. You closed your eyes and trudged forward, knowing it was either get out now, or get stuck in the Maze. Seven seconds.

  The doors were less than three feet away. You had just about given up when you heard it. Newt. He had screamed your name like you’d never heard him scream before. It was as if he was the one stuck in the Maze. It was a scream of terror and pain and sorrow all in one, and somehow it gave you the motivation you needed to keep going.

  You looked to see Newt on the brink of tears, fists clenched, standing right in front of the Maze doors. Five seconds. Newt’s shriek gave you a sudden burst of strength, and you sprinted towards the Maze door. Your heart was beating extremely fast and hard. The doors were almost closed. You used the last of your energy to squeeze your way past the doors of the Maze. The last thing you remember after making your way past the doors was collapsing into Newt’s arms and passing out, unconscious.

-    -    -

  You woke up in the bed of one of the Med Jack rooms, unsure of what happened or how you got there. Then suddenly it all came rushing back; running the Maze, the sound of the doors closing, Newt’s scream, collapsing out of exhaustion. Your head was overwhelmed and pounding.

  Then you noticed your hand was entwined with someone else’s. You looked to the side of the bed you were laying on to see Newt, dozing off with your hand in his. You shifted, sitting up in the bed but not disconnecting your hands, waking Newt up.

  “Y/N?” he asked groggily, rubbing the sleep away from his eyes.

  “Newt,” you whispered. He shook the sleep off and stared at you intently, his deep brown eyes penetrating your soul and making you blush under his stare. He suddenly smiled and the next thing you know he wraps his arms around you, almost making you fall back into the bed.

  “Y/N, I was so worried about you. I thought I’d lost you,” he spoke into your ear. Newt brought his hand up to run his hands over the back of your head and neck soothingly. “I don’t know what I would’ve done without you, Y/N.”

  “Newt-”

  “I love you Y/N,” Newt cut you off. “I love you so bloody much, and I couldn’t imagine my life without you. Ever since you came up in that Box I knew you were special. I knew I wouldn’t be able to get you out of my head. And I was right. Y/N, you mean the world to me. If you got stuck in that Maze, I don’t know how I could move on in life,” Newt was sobbing into your hair now. “I love you.”

  Tears came streaming down your cheeks. “Newt, oh my god. I love you, too, Newt. I always have. You were all I could think about out there in the Maze, I couldn’t bear losing you.”

  He pulled away and when you saw how puffy and red his eyes were from crying you felt the tears come on even more.

  “Sh, baby, don’t cry, beautiful,” Newt used his thumb to wipe your tears away. He smiled at you through the tears. His hands stayed near your face, cupping your cheeks before leaning in and kissing you sweetly. He pulls back and smiles at you. You smile back, bringing him in for another passionate kiss. His lips move in sync with yours, and a zoo of butterflies erupt in your stomach. You couldn’t imagine yourself any happier than you were right there -- Newt’s soft lips melded with yours, the feeling of his soft hair, and knowing that he loved you just as much as you loved him.

  “I love you so much,” Newt told you sincerely after breaking the kiss.

  “I know,” you and Newt stood up and you laid your head on his chest, hugging him like there was no tomorrow.