133. A Day in The Glade || Let Me

Summary: The Glade has always relied on Newt to take care of them

Summary: The Glade has always relied on Newt to take care of them. Little does Newt know, he has a proud girl right beside him, willing to share the burden.

You were watching Newt put his running shoes on when Alby called his attention.

“Newt, you can stay for today. I’m running.” He patted his back.

Newt looked at you and you smiled sadly. You both knew what it meant when Alby left the Glade: Newt is in charge. Meaning he has to go oversee the whole Glade. It stressed him out a lot.

“Let me drop you off at the hut.” He offered, taking your hand.

When Alby was out of earshot, you sighed. “Don’t torture yourself.” You rubbed his toned arms, a habit you’ve formed; it’s always given you comfort. “You can always drop by at the hut and relax, y’know?”

Newt smiled down at you as you neared the hut. “Yeah, love, that’ll be a good idea when these shanks decide to act like decent bloody human beings.”

You chuckled silently, but you felt sorry for Newt. He cared for the Glade more than anyone did, but they didn’t seem to see that.

“Here we are,” he stopped at the hut door, and you faced each other, holding each other’s gaze. He tucked a stray strand of hair in your ear, cupped your cheek and landed his lips on your nose, smiling teasingly.

“You missed, slinthead,” you pouted.

“Where was it supposed to land again?” he furrowed his brows in mock concentration.

You took initiative; your hands collared around his neck and kissed him soundly. You reluctantly pulled away, and he smiled. “Ah. That was where I was supposed to land.”

“Keep that mood all day, babe.” You squeezed his hand.

“Gonna try,” he muttered. “Eat something for lunch, yeah? I won’t be around, I need to call a Gathering. Stay with Jeff, alright?”

“Sure. Bye.”

Newt began walking away. “I love you.”

“You too.”

You smiled, and pushed the door open. “Hey, Jeff. Clint.”

“Hey, princess.”

You took your typical place in the cupboards, arranging the new medicine the Creators brought up. When you first became a Med-Jack, the place was a dumpster. Clint and Jeff weren’t sure where everything was, and the cupboard was practically empty. So once Alby appointed you to the job, you set to work: labeling the shelves and setting schedules for everything. So you sat there for hours, about until lunch, sorting everything out.

You were about to enter a small room to replace the sheets when you found a sweaty Minho occupying it.

“Oh, god, Minho! I didn’t know you were here. I’m sorry.”

Minho smiled at you despite the pain in his eyes. “That’s alright, princess. My own stupidity brought me here – no need to apologize.”

You rolled your eyes at his wittiness. “How you feeling? Who’s been watching you?”

“Jeff. I’m better, I guess. You?”

“Well, I’m not the one with the… severe sprain, here, Min, I’m pretty fine.” You replied, looking at the piece of paper on the wall where his reason for admission was scribbled on – another thing you’ve established.

“Being in love is probably worse than a million shuck sprains, princess.”

“Oh, shut up, Min.” you smiled, handing him a bottle of water. “You probably hadn’t had a sip in a while, Jeff’s been busy with stuff.”

Minho gratefully took it, emptying the whole bottle. He was about to ask you how you are (you knew this, he always asks you before anything else) when three loud thumps banged on the door. Clint shouted for the visitor to come in, and Jeff prepared for another patient and motioned for you to do the same. So you waited with him near the nearest bed to the door.

It was Newt. His hair looked like hell, his expression exhausted. “How’re you all doing?”

You didn’t know what to do, he looked like he just dealt with a thousand screaming children – chills ran down your spine at the thought of Newt with a thousand children – so you let Jeff answer.

“We’re all fine, Newt, Min’s great. But I’m guessing you’re here for Y/N, so…”

“You looked stressed, shank.” Minho’s voice rang from behind.

“Speak for yourself, Min.” he smiled, but the frustration in his eyes remained.

Newt’s eyes drifted from Minho to you. You were confused, but Minho spoke up. “Oh, c’mon, Newt, I know you want to. Save the drama and go with your lady.”

“I’ll be back for you, shuckface.” Newt flashed a seemingly genuine smile for once and turned to Jeff and Clint. “Mind if I borrow her for a few minutes?”

Jeff looked at the clock and turned to Clint, who nodded. “You guys go ahead. It’s five minutes ‘till lunch anyways.”

Newt wrapped his waist around you a little too tightly. He’s definitely stressed. As you were heading out, you swore you heard Jeff mutter something along the lines of, “shucking lover boy.”

Instead of heading to the kitchen, Newt led you to the hut that you shared with him. His shoes and sweater were gone in a second, and he pulled you down to the bed with him. You propped yourself up on your right elbow as you threw your left arm around him as he looked up at you, nuzzling your nose.

“You okay?”

Newt hummed. I swear, I don’t know how this piece of klunk they call a Glade lasts a day.”

“What happened?”

“Well, little Chuckie got bored and played a trick on Gally, almost got him beat up.“ Newt’s expression became contemplative - he’s debating on whether or not he should tell you something. “The Greenie and a few other slintheads faked catching a bug, started asking for you.”

You scrunched your nose and looked away. Although you didn’t always voice it out to Newt, you always have been insecure of your looks. And once was probably enough for Newt to remember.

His eyes softened and his entire expression calmed. “I’ll throw them into the Maze, anyone who makes you feel uneasy. I mean it.”

You smiled in amusement, allowing your fingers to dance on his cheek. His skin was rough but soft, and he smelled like soap and fresh grass.

“You need to calm down, second-in-command,” concern laced in your voice.

Newt sighed, running his hand up and down your back. “Taking care of others is hard work, I don’t know how you put up with them.”

“Then let someone else take care of you in return.” you smile, kissing his nose. “Let me take care of you.”

Newt smiled back, licking his lips.

You continued, “Let me relieve your pain at night before bed,” you massage his scalp; something you learned relaxed him instantly, and he closed his eyes. “let me make sure you’ve had dinner long after the others are asleep. Let me-”

Newt’s soft lips cut you off, his hand at the back of your neck to pull you as close to him as possible.

“I’m the one who’s supposed to take care of you, love,” he smiled.

“We’ll take care of each other.