166. She's Broken, But I'll Fix Her (Newt Fluff)

A girl looked up blinking as light shone into the lift she was in and she squinted. “its a girl” was the first thing she heard and she got dragged out of the box. She looked up scared and surrounded by many boys looking at her like she was some sort of alien they had never encountered before so she did the first thing she could think of, she ran and kept running towards walls up ahead that she noticed had a large gap in the centre leading to the unknown.

“We got a runner!” one of the boys shouted as she darted into the unknown and kept turning corners before realising she was in some sort of maze and collided with someone and they knocked her over. She landed with an oomph sound and looked up to see a blonde boy had rammed into her to stop her from going any further. “geroff” she mumbled and the boy rose from his position on top of her and dragged her up with him. As she got dragged back to where the other boys waited only one thing lingered in her mind. She wanted to get back out there and explore to find a way out even if it was the last thing she did.

“I want to be a runner,” were the first words that left her lips later that day after the blonde boy who’s name she found out was Newt had given her a tour of the glade explaining each job to her. Newt looked at her like she had grown an extra head. “Nobody wants to be a runner,” he corrected and the girl shook her head. “I want to be a runner,” she repeated as she dreamed of finding a way out and helping the other runners in the maze.

“Well Greenie, you don’t get to decide, you get tested to see what your best at and then our leader decides,” Newt explained and the girl grumbled. “Names Y/N, not Greenie,” she muttered and stalked off.

“Y/N!” Chuck called running full speed towards her and she looked up from where she sat underneath the tree waiting for word on what her position would be in the glade. “Alby wants you to go to the meeting in the homestead, they’ve decided which keeper your getting,” Chuck smiled as he held her hand lightly leading her in the right direction.

Y/N smiled as she took a seat and Alby introduced her to the gladers. Her mind was racing. Please let Minho stand up she prayed in her mind relentlessly and was incredibly disappointed when Zart of the track hoes stood up but she forced a smile to seem polite.

There was one bonus with being a track hoe she summarized as she plowed through the weeds and picked some fruit to give to frypan later, she got to hang out with Newt. Still despite the fact that she got to be with Newt day in day out as she worked she still felt empty inside. She watched in desperation and need as the runners started their route through the maze. “You need to let it go,” Newt said softly as he knew that she wanted to be a runner badly. Y/N sighed and nodded getting back to work.

Y/N lay in bed staring at the ceiling playing with her fingers unable to sleep. Despite what Newt had said about letting go, how could she possibly forget her dream of getting out of this place. Y/N went through the same routine everyday of sleep, eat, and work and it was driving her crazy as she longed to run the maze instead.

Y/N slid out of her bed the next morning having decided she had had enough. She was going into the maze and nothing or nobody was going to stop her. She made sure everyone was still asleep as she slipped out of the homestead and towards the maze doors that were only just done opening and quickly jogged in.

Y/N run through the maze and was happy that nobody had found her and brought her back from her freedom yet though she imagined Newt was probably going crazy with worry seeing her empty bed back in the glade. She stumbled across a separation in the vines and looked up to see a ledge jutting out the side of one of the walls deep in the maze.

Y/N found herself climbing with the new found desire to end it all. The glade was driving her crazy and it seemed even the new found freedom wasn’t enough because some of the gladers had been there for years and never found a way out. She plopped down on the ledge and thought to herself how easy it would be to just lean forward even just an inch and then it would all be over and it would be so much easier than being stuck in the glade.

“Don’t you dare bloody do it,” a voice sounded and Y/N looked confused she could have sworn she had heard Newt, but why would he be here? she wondered and shook her head. He wouldn’t come in here, hes a track hoe he isn’t allowed in the maze.

“Please come down,” a voice begged and Y/N opened her eyes, his voice, there it was again gnawing at her mind. She looked down and saw him standing below her looking up sadness in his eyes almost like he knew what she was going through and she wanted to smile and tell him everything was okay but she would only be lying to herself and to him.

Y/N could hear vines rustling and could see that Newt was struggling to climb before he eventually hauled himself up to sit next to her. “Please don’t do this,” he whispered and for once she could hear how truly broken he sounded as he stroked her hand slowly before holding it. “I couldn’t bear it if you jumped,” he whimpered and she sighed with tears slipping down her cheeks.

Y/N looked at the floor. One jump that’s all it would take and it would all be over. Do it, a voice taunted her and she almost did until Newts words stopped her dead. “Ive been here before, you think your the only one? I jumped off the bloody wall thinking it could end it but then I realised that I had people who were like family all around me and I realised I was a bloody idiot to try and leave. I love you please don’t leave me,” he begged.

Y/N leaned into Newt crying as she broke down and he let her and hugged her close as her tears stained and dampened his shirt but he didn’t care, he’d talked her down from the brink of insanity and only wished that he’d had someone to do that for him. As he held Y/N close he smiled, a real smile knowing that she was okay for now and he made a promise he would be there to help her with her depression as he kissed the top of her head and slowly helped her climb down the wall before they walked back hand in hand to the glade knowing that they would be met by many angry gladers but didn’t care because they had each other and that’s all they needed.