102. Another Girl||Fluff

Everyone was surprised when I came up in the Box. What was a girl doing in the Maze? Well, I knew as much as they did. In fact, when I arrived I only knew my name, Y/N.

You would expect a little more kindness towards the only girl in the Glade. But they kept on calling me Greenie and treating me like I was worth nothing. Whenever I tried to ask for help or had any questions, the boys usually ignored me or told me off. Except for one.

Newt. ‘The British boy’, as I called him before I learned his name.

From day one, he had been the only one that actually seemed interested in helping a poor clueless girl lost in a world of boys. And the only one that was nice to me, sometimes even flirty. As a matter of fact, they all flirted to me –it was no surprise, really- but he did in a whole different way. He was always a gentleman.

I arrived in the Box a year ago. And we had been dating for a good five months now.

The boys finally started to see me as another Glader when the new Greenie arrived. But I had to make myself respected nonetheless.

Despite that darker time, I was happy in the Glade. As happy as I could be imprisoned in a courtyard surrounded by a gigantic Maze that held hideous Grievers that could kill us all. So I tried to keep those thoughts away, and it was incredibly easy when I was close to a certain someone.

I was walking towards the Gardens, where my boyfriend Newt was working. Frypan had asked me to get some tomatoes from Zart for the supper. And as a Cook, I had to do what my Keeper told me to.

“Hey, Zart” I greeted him when I reached him. He looked up from his work to me.

“Hi, Y/N”

“Fry wants some tomatoes for the dinner”

I noticed someone staring at me, but I didn’t have to look to know it was Newt. He was harvesting something, kneeling in the floor not so far from where we were standing.

“Sure” Zart grabbed a crate that lay next to him and handed it to me.

“Thanks” I carried the crate and started walking back to the Kitchen.

“Here they are, Fry” I announced as I came in.

“Leave them there and start cutting them” He asked me, so I nodded.

I washed the tomatoes, put them on the counter and grabbed a knife. I started cutting them as I hummed a melody that somehow made its way to my head.

Suddenly, I felt two muscular arms wrap my waist from behind. I tried to hide the huge smile that wanted to take over my lips.

“Hi, love” His sweet voice whispered in my ear.

“What are you doing here? You were working in the Gardens just a moment ago” I giggled, trying to get my attention back to the food. But the butterflies in my stomach were making it a hard task.

“Not anymore, I came here to see the prettiest girl in the Glade”

“I’m the only girl, genius” I laughed.

“You would still be even if we were surrounded by thousands of bloody girls”

He leaned his chin in my shoulder and gave me a loud kiss in the cheek.

I put the knife in the counter and turned to him, wiping my hands in my apron to clean them off the tomato juice.

“Alby’s going to tell you off if he sees you stopped working because of me, Newtie” I laughed, placing my arms over his shoulders and hugging him.