160. It's a Buggin' Girl- Part 6

The moment was cut short with a rumbling, screeching noise cutting through the Glade. It sounded like two mountains colliding, and grinding each other to a terrifying pulp. 

“What the fuck is that?!” You pressed your back to the wall and threw your hands over your ears.

“It’s okay! It’s okay,” Newt was on you in a second, the noise didn’t seem to bother him, “That’s just the doors closing.” 

“The doors to what??” 

“Um,” He bit his lip, “The doors surrounding this place. They close every night.” 

But his answer wasn’t good enough; you were smarter than that, “Why? What are they keeping out?” 

“Don’t worry about it for now,” 

More bullshit. 

“Fine, don’t tell me.” You narrowed your gaze, “I’ll find out eventually.” 

“I have no doubt you will,” He sighed and nodded towards the door, “Come on, I want to show you something else.” 

“What is it?” You questioned, but were almost immediately met with an answer. Newt nodded to the scene before you, and your hand self consciously moved to cover up your tattoo. 

By an enormous bonfire were dozens of boys, all around the same age. Scanning the crowd for a familiar face you found none, and suddenly realized the entire Glade must have been gathered. 

The group was generally split into two: one half crowding around the fire to eat and the other standing in a circle- whooping and chanting as two people fought in the middle. Although the fighting should have been hostile, it was impossible to ignore the laughter, and chatter that followed each hit. 

They truly were a community of friends. 

But you were still apprehensive, “Newt, what is this?” 

“It’s a bonfire, love. Are you hungry?” 

Your stomach had been growling for hours, but you hid your eagerness to eat with a shrug, “Sure.” 

Before he could respond, a blue eyed boy popped up on his right, “Look who made it!!!!” Upon seeing you, he stopped short, “Uh, Newt, is that a girl??” 

“Yeah, this is (Y/N),” Newt pushed his friend off him and jutted his chin in your direction, “Jesus, Tommy, where the hell were you this afternoon?” 

“Minho’s a lazy shank who wanted a day off, so I ran his route today,” The boy looked you up and down before extending a hand, “I’m Thomas, nice to meet you.” 

Ran his route’ What the hell did that mean?? 

“Yeah, you too.” You hesitantly shook his hand, inching slightly closer to Newt. 

Why did you feel so safe around him? When he’d touched your cheek in the Homestead you hadn’t been afraid, or even flinched. You’d welcomed it, and were starting to have the sneaking suspicion it wasn’t the first time you’d done so. 

Something about Newt felt secure, it felt familiar, like coming home after a thousand years out at sea. You’d have been tossing and turning in the ocean’s harsh waves, but there he’d be. Solid ground.  

It honestly scared you even more than the Glade ever could. 

You pushed the thought out of your mind as Gally approached the three of you, sweat gleaning off his forehead from a previous fight, “So we’re letting a WCKD spy just walk free now?” 

“What?“ You scoffed, proudly eyeing the bruises you’d left on his cheek that afternoon, “You want to go round two?” 

“What the…..?” You heard Thomas mutter under his breath, but you just held Gally’s stare, “I didn’t think so.” 

“Someone’s cocky,” He took a step closer, and you noticed Newt go rigid at the movement, “Come in the ring and prove it.” He paused, “Unless you’re too scared.” 

“Not in the slightest,” You clenched your jaw and moved to go fight, but Newt put a hand to your arm, “Enough.” 

At that, everyone went quiet, and he continued, “We’re not having that, so both of you be civil.” 

“Shank,” Gally rolled his eyes, but listened to him. 

After both Gally and Thomas had dispersed, you narrowed your eyes at Newt, “Don’t make decisions for me.”  

“Don’t make stupid decisions then, love.”