196. Patchwork Family

( Reader ) P.O.V.

My heart is beating so hard in my chest, it feels like it might burst through.

I pace back and forth in the bedroom that Newt and I share with each other. All I can think of is the worst outcomes of this situation and oh creators…Alby is going to murder us! This is just shuck great. 

Newt should be done with his work soon and once he notices me missing, he’s bound to come searching. The closer the sun gets to the ground, the more sick and anxious I feel. Come on, shank, gather your courage and just tell him.

Truth be told, I’ve known about my pregnancy for two days now. As excited as I was at first, it soon turned into complete worry and dread. Not because of the baby- that’s a wonderful gift that I would never go back on. It’s because I don’t know how Newt will react or anyone in the glade. My family.

The youngest around here is Chuck and he’s known for being annoying because of his immaturity. I can’t imagine what everyone will think of a baby being here! Sadly, I’ve been distancing myself from Newt because I’ve been terrified. Every time I see him, I feel like crying and the hormones are not helping.

Our bedroom door opens and it immediately stops my pacing. I turn around to see Newt standing there with a concerned expression on his lightly freckled face. “Y/n?” He calls, walking into the space we share. I open my mouth but I hiccup instead, a tear rolling down my cheek.

Immediately, Newt is holding me to his chest, not wasting a second to comfort me. “What’s the matter, love? Are you hurt?” He inquires and I shake my head against him. “Please, tell me what I can do." 

Pulling back, I look up at him and sniffle before I say anything. "Newt…” I start, having to stop and gather my breath. “I’m pregnant.” I abruptly say, knowing that it’s better to just get it out there.

A quiet gasp slips past his lips and he stands very still, looking at me with wide eyes. “P-Pregnant?!” He asks, not being able to comprehend such a thought. Nodding, I walk over to my side of the bed and pull out the pregnancy test to show him.

“How- how did you get this?" 

Sighing, I look down at my feet and I feel my stomach aching again. "I missed my cycle last month, so I asked the creators for the test…. I just found out when they came up two days ago.” I explain.

Newt runs his hands through his hair, making it messier than usual. I can’t tell if he’s mad or what, which makes tears well up in my eyes again. “I’m sorry…” I croak out before the tears spill down my face.

With two fingers underneath my chin, Newt makes me look up at him. “Why are you sorry, love?” He examines my face, looking at me with so much love that it makes me ache.

“I-I didn’t know if you- if you wanted kids or not.” I stutter. “Now we’re going to have one and I’m terrified that you won’t want it.” The tears keep falling but Newt’s features soften at my words.

“Oh, love. Of course I want this child with you. I’ll be honest, I hadn’t really given kids much thought but I am so beyond excited and happy that we created life together. That I can love a mini version of you.” He coo’s, kissing my tears away.

A small smile plays at my lips and I raise my hand to push the front of his hair back. “Or a mini version of you.” I add and he agrees. “So, you’re not mad?”