147. Newt

character - Newtwords - 1419warnings - n/adescription - You’re the latest addition to the Glade and Newt starts to really like you, but gets jealous because Alby likes you too

character - Newt
words - 1419
warnings - n/a
description - You’re the latest addition to the Glade and Newt starts to really like you, but gets jealous because Alby likes you too.

Newt wasn’t jealous. No, he refused to think of it that way. He was just annoyed, to put it mildly. To put it very mildly.

He had nothing to be jealous of. He wasn’t supposed to think of you as more than just a Glader – as more than just a friend. That’s all you could ever be to him. All you had to be to him. It has hard enough on you to be the only girl in the Glade. Him liking you would only make it worse.

No, he didn’t like you. Not really. Only a little.

Only a lot.

Inhaling sharply, Newt tossed the basket of corn he was holding down on the ground a little harder than he should have. A few other Gladers working in the gardens gave him a confused look. He ignored them.

Ever since you’d come out of the Box, everything had changed in the Glade. The boys found a reason to show off, and almost everyone was trying to get on your good side. They probably thought they could sneak off with you in the Deadheads and make out a little during their breaks.

Not like Newt hadn’t thought of it either. But it was an accident on his part. He just happened to overhear Ben and a few others talk about it and then the image of your breathless figure moaning as he kissed your neck got stuck in his mind.

Focus, he told himself.

Of course so many other guys liked you. Not only were you insanely pretty, but you were easily the kindest and most charming person around. Everyone loved talking to you; at dinner, your table was always the most crowded.

And it bothered Newt to no end. As much as he told himself it shouldn’t, it did.

And to add fuel to the fire, Alby had also fallen for you.

He was second-in-command after Nick and was supposed to keep a level head at all times, but the idiot had been hit with an incurable crush and it was clearly distracting him from his job. But the worst part was that Alby was one of the few guys Newt actively talked to and was one of his closest friends, and to hear him say your name in the most lovesick of ways made him want to punch a hole through the ground.

Newt was snapped out of his thoughts by a voice calling his name. He’d recognize that voice anywhere; it sent a chill up his spine and made every single one of his nerves tingle with anticipation.

“(Y/N),” he greeted. You had a big smile on your face, the kind that made him weak at the knees.

“I’m hungry,” you said. “Let’s go raid Frypan’s kitchen.”

“We only have an hour left until dinner.” He shook his head. “You’ll ruin your appetite.”

“Dude, with how hard I’ve been working in the past few days, I don’t think anything could ruin my appetite. I could eat a whole pot of stew all by myself.” You flexed your arm muscles. “Gotta stay stronger than all you shanks.”