192. With You pt. 5

( Newt ) P.O.V.

*Flashback to right after the fight*

Thomas trudges up to his room, disappearing from my sight. Y/n is currently on top of me, smiling wide. “Did you guys work everything out?” She asks, her big eyes looking at me intently.

Nodding, I brush her hair back with my fingers. “Yes, we did. I think he was just so used to looking after you that he didn’t know how to handle things. We talked it out and agreed on my death if I hurt you.” I explain, making her giggle. “You?”

“Mhm. Thomas apologized and we’re good, now.” She tells me. Scanning her face, I can’t help but notice all the delicate details of her appearance. She’s absolutely beautiful in the most unique way.

We meet eyes and she begins to speak again without breaking our contact. “We were kind of interrupted earlier, you know, with T barging in. So….” Her voice trails off and blood rises to the apples of her cheeks.

“Yes?" 

Y/n pulls me to her, meeting my lips and I make a startled noise from the unexpected gesture. Pulling back, she speaks just loud enough for me to hear. "I love you, Newt.”

Those four words convinced me that, no matter what happens as we continue together, we will be okay. We will make things work. Feeling overwhelming affection for the girl before my eyes, I bring her to me and wrap my arms around her.

Just having y/n with me, being able to feel her breathing against my chest, calms me instantly and I continue to hold her, not wanting to ever let go.

****

Yesterday was hectic, which led to y/n and me falling asleep very soon after Thomas had left us for his bed. Having recharged after everything, all of us had to work today. Thankfully, I finished up in enough time to go pick y/n up from her shift.

Y/n happily greeted me before we went home. Thomas was still at work but that reminded me that I wanted to talk to y/n privately, anyways. So, after we settled into the couch, I turned to y/n and asked if we could talk.

“Yeah, of course. What’s on your mind?” Her voice echoing through the quiet room. 

Pulling her hand to me, I intertwine my fingers with hers before speaking. “You’ve mentioned that something had happened, in your past, to make Tommy protective. I don’t want to make you uncomfortable and I won’t push you to tell me but I- I just want to understand.”

To my dismay, y/n’s face falls and I can tell that she’s thinking about it. I mumble and apology before she pulls my chin up, making me look at her. “It’s okay. I want to tell you, I want you to understand too.”

Inhaling deeply, she readjusts my hand to lay on her knee and rests hers on top. Instinctively, I trace shapes onto the exposed skin that’s peaking through the rip of her jeans. This seems to calm her down a bit, so I continue my actions as she begins.

“When I was much younger, guys started to notice me - like I’ve mentioned before. Don’t get me wrong, I noticed guys and crushed on a few too. But nothing ever came from those besides the sadness that comes with rejection.”

Y/n pauses for a moment, seeming to gather up the courage to talk about what happened. Patiently, I wait for her to start once more. “Then, one day, I met a friend of Thomas’. He wasn’t extremely close to T but they hung out fairly often.”