193. With You pt.6

( Reader ) P.O.V.

To tell you the truth, I hadn’t really witnessed the clumsy side of Newt until we started dating. Funny enough, it gets worse when he gets nervous. This hadn’t occurred to me until we finally went on our first official date and ended up tripping, which sent his beverage to spill all over me.

Newt expected me to be mad or embarrassed but I just laughed. “Seems like you’re keeping your word. Literally stumbling through life with me.” Once he realized I found it humorous, he gave me a closed lipped smile.

A month has passed since Thomas found out about us and he’s been so great about it. He’s still the ‘older brother’ in the sense that he teases us and makes noises when Newt and I are affectionate but he doesn’t make any effort to stop us.

Not so surprisingly, Brenda and Thomas have been flirting with each other. When I witnessed this first hand, my reaction caught everyone off guard. “Whoa, I felt like I just went into overprotective sister mode.” I admitted.

Minho thought this was hilarious and it became his go-to line when they’d start flirting. “Oh no, y/n’s might go into overprotective sister mode if she catches you!” I’d always play along and pretend to separate them but we would all laugh.

Mostly because I wasn’t strong enough to push them away from each other.

That’s who I’m with right now, a little outside the city. All of my friends are here with me as we walk through a festival that’s being held. Minho has somehow convinced us to race through a maze, built up with hay bales. 

The idea kind of freaked me out, the thought of feeling lost and stuck fills me with dread. The nightmare rages against my skull but Newt grabbed my hand after whispering something into T’s ear. Everyone went on ahead, agreeing to meet up on the other side and left me alone with Newt at the beginning.

“We don’t have to go, y/n. Whatever you want to do, I’m going and staying with you.” Newt looks down at me, waiting for my response.

Contrary to how I feel, a smile tugs up my lips and I pull on his hand. He holds a confused expression, so I explain. “I won’t lie, this is kind of terrifying but I’m not scared right now. Those feelings disappear because I’m with you, Newt. I’m not scared when I’m with you.”

Muscles in Newt’s arm tense as he gives my hand a reassuring squeeze, leading us into the labyrinth. Although I’m not scared, with the man I love by my side, my heartbeat pounds away and I find myself clutching, hard, onto his arm.

No doubt, my nails are causing painful indents in his skin but he doesn’t wince away or stop me. Newt see’s my inner struggle and he wraps his arm (snaked out of my death grip) around me, laying his hand on my abdomen. 
Comfort washes over me and I instinctively place my hand over his, reassuring myself that he’s with me and not going to leave. As if he read my mind, he leans in, his nose against my temple, and whispers to me. “I’m not going anywhere, love.”

We travel between the hay corridors, running into dead-ends and other wanderers but I find myself laughing through everything instead of freezing up. The only time my heart dropped, even a little, was when Newt’s foot caught on the corner and pulled me to the ground with him.

Even with this, the worry only lasted a moment after he groaned from hitting the ground. His hair looking even messier with strands of hay weaved into his golden locks. Among his groaning, he gives me a clumsy smile and I try to stifle a laugh, which doesn’t work.