148. A Day in The Glade || Nightmares

You had gone to bed alone tonight since Newt had to attend a Gathering with the other Keepers about Thomas.

Newt often got angry when you waited up for him when he stayed out late. Like, really angry.

You almost woke when Newt wrapped his arm around your waist, but he kissed you on the cheek - something he did before he fell asleep.

You woke again, though, because Newt was whispering in your ear.

You slurred a “what?” to him, but he kept on whispering incoherent sentences.

His lips were already leveled next to your ear - so you pulled away slightly to look at him.

Newt was still asleep, a troubled look on his face.

His forehead and bare chest shone with sweat. You tried to move, but his arms tightened around you, making him murmur louder.

You shook his shoulders gently.

Nothing.

You only saw one way to wake Newt up.

You kissed him. Hard.

You felt him stir, and when he was gaining consciousness you felt his lips move with your own. You ran your hands through his growing hair while he ran his hand up and down your back, making your shirt ride up.

He pulled away for breath.

“Nightmare?” you whispered against his lips.

He was silent for a while, before sighing and nodding. “Last week,” he whispered.

It was all you needed to hear.

Last week, you fell in the Deadheads because Clint made you gather some herbs that were growing there.

The bruise was so bad it looked like a Griever sting - and as if Newt couldn’t get more worried, you got sick and pale.

Newt almost lost it, knowing what happened to Ben.

“I’m sorry,” you frowned.

Newt pulled you closer to his chest until you were almost on top of him, lips only inches apart.

“Don’t be,” he shook his head absentmindedly, licking his lips, eyes dazed by the sight of you.

“You must be tired.” you bent down to kiss the corner of his mouth gently.

You felt him smile against your lips. “Like hell.”

“Let’s go to sleep.” you moved to roll off of him, but he pulled you back on him.

“Stay.” he smiled.

“I’m heavy, you moron,” you teased.

Newt was already on the verge of sleep. “That’s... ‘cause my heart - it’s i-in there, too,”

He managed to get those words out before his breathing leveled completely.